CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Hi Bob,

Serge was a CFC employee (when we share a beer...that is a good story)...he also worked for the CMA and the FQE...he was Gerry Lichfield's boss...ask him for details :)

Larry
    Serge has just announced his candidacy on the CFC board. It might be time for a separate thread for him, here.

Comment

Anyone who thinks he needs his own thread is welcome to make it :p
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The race for President could become flooded. One other individual who is rumored to run has yet to declare. And then there can always be surprises...

Comment

Better an actual race than either an acclamation or a rubberstamping. When was the last time we had an actual race for the President's chair?
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Kevin has supported most of those who became CFC Presidents over the last couple of decades...only to change his mind after the fact.

Serge was asked to leave as the CFC Executive Director about a decade ago...the problem in Canada is that we have short memories...as I have always said...the CFC is its own worse enemy...HELLO!

There are good people at the CFC (regardless of what you may read elsewhere).

Bob Gillanders has been great...David Lavin did what had to be done to save the ship from sinking...

This is not easy...especially for volunteers...chess in this country has had many awesome folks step forward...it is easy to criticize...but at the end of the day...I think we are back on the right track...let's not screw things up!

Larry
            Larry
            Archambault would be a shocker; not only was he at times incompetant in that Executive Director role ( he'd let his personal politics interfere with getting things done ), I've experienced enough from him to understand there is something extremely troubling about his moral compass. Seemingly no empathy for others, and capable of destructive rages where dishonesty is not a problem. One of my biggest life lessons was realizing that nothing good can come from dealing with these characters.

Ignoring the past personal conflicts, CFC governors should ask one important question. Is Serge Archambault running for President to help out Canadian chess, or is he running to help out Serge Archambault ? I think the answer is obvious.
            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 9th June, 2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              Better an actual race than either an acclamation or a rubberstamping. When was the last time we had an actual race for the President's chair?
              July 2009
              Eric Van Dusen 13
              David Lavin 12

A somewhat surprising choice by the Governors (in my mind anyway - I see I sent no proxy that year). It would appear that Lavin did not attend the AGM in Edmonton or send a proxy !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                July 2009
                Eric Van Dusen 13
                David Lavin 12

A somewhat surprising choice by the Governors (in my mind anyway - I see I sent no proxy that year). It would appear that Lavin did not attend the AGM in Edmonton or send a proxy !!
                As I think he did a phone call before the elections.
                Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 9th June, 2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
                  Archambault would be a shocker; not only was he at times incompetant in that Executive Director role ( he'd let his personal politics interfere with getting things done ), I've experienced enough from him to understand there is something extremely troubling about his moral compass. Seemingly no empathy for others, and capable of destructive rages where dishonesty is not a problem. One of my biggest life lessons was realizing that nothing good can come from dealing with these characters.

Ignoring the past personal conflicts, CFC governors should ask one important question. Is Serge Archambault running for President to help out Canadian chess, or is he running to help out Serge Archambault ? I think the answer is obvious.
                  I must admit, I fail to see any plus side to being the president of the CFC.
                  Only Obama has a more thankless job.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

David was expecting to be on the phone with the meeting, which happened the first day and when he went to call in for the second day there was some kind of hiccup, supposedly on the meeting end. He was expecting to be able to make his pitch for re-election himself and thus had nobody lined up to do it for him.

I heard from at least one person who "punished" David for "not bothering to show up at the meeting"... which I found rather disturbing, given the distances and time constraints involved.
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

• Re: CFC Presidential Election (from Fees thread)

When will an Ontario Governor be announcing his candidacy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                        When will an Ontario Governor be announcing his candidacy?
                        The American system is superior to ours. They have an electoral college. We elect our president and turn him over to the blogs.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          I must admit, I fail to see any plus side to being the president of the CFC.
                          Only Obama has a more thankless job.
                          You've still got to distinguish your good candidates ( like Obama ) from your really bad candidates ( like George W. Bush ). Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do stuff, I can see one motive might be to prevent Archambault from winning. Another might be, it might look good on your resume.

The CFC has all sorts of similar dilemma's right now. Is running the Canadian Closed not a "thankless" task at times ? The CFC has always been a highly charged political envoronment with a lot of secrecy, and these aspects are by choice. Not everyone supports these choices. One of the costs of such an approach is you lose most of the young people, this is not the world they live in ( a much more dynamic social media approach ).

Comment

You've still got to distinguish your good candidates ( like Obama ) from your really bad candidates ( like George W. Bush ). .
                            And how is that Good Candidate working out for the American economy?

Oops! I forgot, It's still Bush's fault!!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                              And how is that Good Candidate working out for the American economy?

Oops! I forgot, It's still Bush's fault!!
                              As Tricky Dick pointed out "the man at the top must take the blame!"

That seems only fair since the man at the top usually grabs all the glory that is going around when something is perceived as a success.

I think the "job" of the U.S. presidency is not doable. The public associates *everything* (good and bad) with the president, but the day to day reality is quite different: the president certainly has a lot of influence over policy but the rest of the government "machine" actually controls what happens.

The (U.S.) President is simply a figure head - a lightning rod for the attention of the media.

Those who are not satisfied with Obama should also ask "how about Palin or Limbaugh or Romney - how would that work out?"
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

You've still got to distinguish your good candidates ( like Obama ) from your really bad candidates ( like George W. Bush ). Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to do stuff, I can see one motive might be to prevent Archambault from winning. Another might be, it might look good on your resume.
                                Obama has an unemployment rate over 9%. He's using the old economic model of Boom, Bust, War. He'll probably be a one term president.

I don't know what that has to do with the CFC election.

It might not matter who wins as president. Chess is like music lessons. When kids get a bit older most quit. Kids chess looks to be what is being promoted these days.

I can't understand why anyone would want to be president of the organization. There is so much to do and so little money to do it with. The president has the responsibility and takes the heat while the money sits in the foundation. It appears not to matter who is president. Unless Bob wants to correct something I've written.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X