Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Billy Carroll View Post
    If I am correctly reading the Final Results posted by Patrick, it appears each and every member of Team Canada matched or surpassed their original ranking in the tournament.

How can anyone be discouraged by such improvement?!
    Overall the canadian players finished remarquably close to their low or very low initial ranking. I see no big accomplishment (improvement ?) in finishing 112th when ranked 114th, which is what most players with a "+finish" did. The only one who improved significantly on his initial ranking is Richard Wang finishing 4th while ranked 10th.
    Seeing "such improvements" in those results is simply putting one's head in the sand.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Bob, can you understand the difference between "medal" and "medal chances" ? Each kid had three chances to win ONE medal, for a total of 120 chances (not for three medals, but for no less then 36 different medals).
      It scares me to find out that even in math and reading skill you seem to be dysfunctional. I was under the impression that you worked in accounting. I do not know where I picked that nonsense.
      Each kid had ONE chance to win ONE medal with medal color TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
        Each kid had ONE chance to win ONE medal with medal color TBD.
        Are you in accounting too ?
        The people buying lottery tickets certainly believe they have one chance to win the jackpot and several more chances to win another prize. I belong to that optimistic crowd. :)

Comment

can you understand....
          Can you understand that your use of semantics to denigrate the accomplishments of the team is just mean spirited.

"120 medal chances", really? It is so Hebert of you. Bitch, whine, and complain about everything.
          After all, there are only 40 kids and only 36 medals.

Comment

Re: Wycc 2011 - Final Results!

Congratulations to Canada Team for incredible performance at 2011 WYCC this year in Brazil. Everyone who was involved in this incredible event should be very proud. It was simply a team effort!

First I would like to thank Garry Gladstone for being the Delegate Canada can have. He did am amazing job, helping Canadian coaches getting hotel rooms. Also big thanks goes to Andrew Giblon as well.

Our U12 group was probably the strongest in Canadian history. Congratulations to Razvan Preotu for very solid performance in his first WYCC
            participation. He tied FM Benjamin Gledura, who shared first but lost on a tie break, and top American U12 FM Xiong Jeffrey. He also eneded up playing
            Aravindhn Chithambaram Vr from India, who is U19 Indian champion.

Congratulations to Richard Wang who also finished 4th in very tough U14 section this year.

Our Biggest congratulation goes to Michael Song, won bronze medal for team Canada! Special thanks goes to CYCC chief organizer Anna Jinx for directly financially supporting Michael and donating $600.00 directly to his travel cost, and GM Mihalevski (his coach) for this. Truly amazing result. :D

Congratulations Michael!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
              Congratulations to Canada Team for incredible performance at 2011 WYCC this year in Brazil. Everyone who was involved in this incredible event should be very proud. It was simply a team effort!

First I would like to thank Garry Gladstone for being the Delegate Canada can have. He did am amazing job, helping Canadian coaches getting hotel rooms. Also big thanks goes to Andrew Giblon as well.

Our U12 group was probably the strongest in Canadian history. Congratulations to Razvan Preotu for very solid performance in his first WYCC
              participation. He tied FM Benjamin Gledura, who shared first but lost on a tie break, and top American U12 FM Xiong Jeffrey. He also eneded up playing
              Aravindhn Chithambaram Vr from India, who is U19 Indian champion.

Congratulations to Richard Wang who also finished 4th in very tough U14 section this year.

Our Biggest congratulation goes to Michael Song, won bronze medal for team Canada! Special thanks goes to CYCC chief organizer Anna Jinx for directly financially supporting Michael and donating $600.00 directly to his travel cost, and GM Mihalevski (his coach) for this. Truly amazing result. :D

Congratulations Michael!!!

Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for this post!

Can you give us an insight from the coaching perspective?

How did the coaches divide the tasks, etc.

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Carroll View Post
                If I am correctly reading the Final Results posted by Patrick, it appears each and every member of Team Canada matched or surpassed their original ranking in the tournament.
                Examination of the initial rankings in each group reveals that those without a FIDE rating are listed at the end, ordered alphabetically by last name. Using such an initial ranking for comparison purposes is not meaningful (for those without FIDE ratings, which was almost half the Canadian team).

Comment

@Stephen:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I was just going by what I saw in this Post.
                  Still, I think they did well and will only learn from their experiences in Brazil :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                    Can you understand that your use of semantics to denigrate the accomplishments of the team is just mean spirited.

"120 medal chances", really? It is so Hebert of you. Bitch, whine, and complain about everything.
                    Apparently you don't have a clue either about the meaning of the word "semantics". The bitching, the whining and complaining is what you do about me. Looking at yourself in a mirror every now and then wouldn't hurt.

I did not criticize the team, I did not criticize players individually and I did not criticize the coaches. I said : the results are not impressive and cannot be considered an accomplishment, unless the simple fact of having a good time in a foreign country is considered so. This will not make me popular but it has to be said if things are to improve. How much money was spend sending these 40 players and supporting people to Brazil ? Just counting airfares, probably near 100,000$. With other expenses, 150,000 or more. For that we got ONE bronze medal and lots of ranking in line with initial rankings ( partly based on alphabetical order).
                    Of course the kids got valuable experience from that WYCC. But chesswise the same could have been said from any 9 games played in domestic tournaments at a fraction of the cost. Surely there is some rethinking to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                      Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for this post!

Can you give us an insight from the coaching perspective?

How did the coaches divide the tasks, etc.

Thanks,

Larry
                      Hi Larry,

Coaching at this level was an amazing experience for myself. I can't speak for Nikolay and Andrew, but I am pretty sure they will tell you same thing.

Andrew and myself had schedule for every player that was assigned to us. It was not easy to follow schedule, so we had to adjust on a fly.

Most of the days me and Andrew would not go to bed until 2:00 a.m., because we had to do research for our preparation. We would get up at 8:30 A.M. on most days as well.

Some players never came for help at all, probably because they had outside help.

Qyui Zhou was assigned to Andrew, but only came to show few of her games and that is it. I believe she had outside help. I heard from rumours, that Robert Hamilton was helping her, but could be mistaken.

Yunchen Zhang was helped from 2011 Canadian Closed Champion GM Bator Sambuev. He did came to me to review one game he played with black. I did not want to get involved too much, since I knew that he received professional coaching. This is the main reason why he finished very high this year U10. Bator's coaching was a factor!

We did encounter a problem, when Qiyu Zhou was paired against Melissa Giblon. Both were assigned to Andrew, and it would be impossible task same coach preparing both players to face each other.

First, we tried to raise an appeal, but with no luck. Our appeal was based on the fact, that 2 other girls from Poland were paired against each other one board higher. It would be best to pair girls from Poland against Canadian girls instead. Unfortunately appeal was rejected.

What made task easier, is that Qyui Zhou had no intention getting help from Andrew, and he prepared Melissa for round 7 game. Her father did come to Coaching quarters at one point to ask: 'What would happen, if she came for preparation?'. Andrew said, that other coaches would be available to her, if she askedfor help in this case.

It would be easier to take a draw in this case, but Qyui desire to win and she also had white pieces, it would be impossible task to convince them to walk away picefully.

Other then that it was an amazing experience. Russian team had GM Rublevski, and GM Dolmatov. I managed to speak with GM Dolmatov for about 5 minutes, when I asked one person from Russian team to introduce me to him. US team had 4 GMs: DiFirmian, GM Federowicz, GM Benjamin, and GM Shulaman. I heard that GM Victor Bologan was also there, but didn’t manage to see him. I exchanged few word with DiFirmian on last day, when he came to watch a bughouse, when US team (including Justss Williams!), when US Team and Andrew played on last day.

This year WYCC was an amazing experience. Simply fantastic! :D

Thanks.

Comment

Setting aside his weird math re: medals, his point is valid. The results weren't anything spectacular. It can be a great learning experience and life adventure despite not being a fantastic result. It was an ok/in line with expectations result, and there's no reason to try to pretend it was otherwise.

Comment

The bitching, the whining and complaining is what you do about me. Looking at yourself in a mirror every now and then wouldn't hurt. .
                          I could not agree with you more. Generally people try to point a fingers at others, and blame it on someone else.

It is so Hebert of you. Bitch, whine, and complain about everything.
                          Maybe instead of pointing finger, and criticizing others, one should ask himself: “Ok we got this far, how can we make things better.”

I would like to add, that we were also misrepresented in U10 Girls section. The best result for U10 girls was only 32nd place.

They could of send much tougher team for U10 Girls this year. For U10 we could of added player with title and high FIDE rating.

Someone in CFC has some explaining to do, why CFC did not send best possible team, when it had a multiple times to do so. Maybe discrimination is a factor, against certain players here.

Looks like Mr. Gillanders was most active from CFC side, on this topic. I believe he has some explaining to do on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post

Someone in CFC has some explaining to do, why CFC did not send best possible team, when it had a multiple times to do so. Maybe discrimination is a factor, against certain players here.
                            Why do you call this a team? Do you know the difference between individual play and team play?
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Why do you call this a team? Do you know the difference between individual play and team play?
                              It does not hurt to count medals won by countries in Olympics where even sports differ.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                                Setting aside his weird math re: medals, his point is valid. The results weren't anything spectacular. It can be a great learning experience and life adventure despite not being a fantastic result. It was an ok/in line with expectations result, and there's no reason to try to pretend it was otherwise.
                                I don't believe that I have overstated the team's accomplishments. Canada has a relatively small chess community, and expecting that the kids will bring back numerous medals is silly, no matter what level of coaching or preparation. IMHO, they did very well, not spectacular, but better than our ranking would suggest, but certainly not a result that should attract criticism. When little Johnny scores a goal, do we congratulate him or should we condemn him for not getting a hat trick?

IMHO, semantics aside, Jean was wrong to embellish his criticism by suggesting we did not win 119 medals. Anyway, it is really just a case of expectations and perspective. Half empty or half glass full, I guess. I prefer my outlook on it as opposed to Jean's. Enough said.

Comment

Working...
                                X