Wycc 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wycc 2011 - Final Results!

Here are the final standings for our kids in Brazil at the WYCC.

After 9 rounds:

Section Name Rank Out of Tied For

U08 Pulfer Luke 19 86 17
    U08 Wang Frank 34 86 28
    U08 Noritsyn Sergey 40 86 38
    U08 Talukdar Rohan Shyam 51 86 50

U08G Zhang Taylor 5 56 3
    U08G Zhang Jeannie 21 56 19

U10 Zhang Yuanchen 9 121 9
    U10 Wang Dinny 80 121 66

U10G Wang Constance 32 67 20
    U10G Paraparan Varshini 42 67 41
    U10G Zhou Lily 47 67 41

U12 Song Michael 3 133 3
    U12 Preotu Razvan 28 133 24
    U12 Chiku-Ratte Olivier-Kenta 40 133 40

U12G Zhou Qiyu 12 88 9
    U12G Giblon Melissa 63 88 63
    U12G Tao Rachel Long-Xin 71 88 63
    U12G Moayyed Dorsa 79 88 79

U14 Wang Richard 10 132 4
    U14 Plotkin Mark 54 132 39
    U14 Fu James 62 132 55
    U14 Kalra Agastya 78 132 55
    U14 Yang Yimang 107 132 94
    U14 Yang Bryant 114 132 112

U14G Giblon Rebecca 47 86 39
    U14G Foote Joanne 57 86 48
    U14G Hou Louisa Qianqian 74 86 73

U16 Semianiuk Konstantin 39 104 31
    U16 Zhang David 44 104 31
    U16 Gusev Nikita 52 104 47
    U16 Ivanov Mike 63 104 62
    U16 Gladstone Simon 83 104 72

U16G Roy Myriam 28 84 24
    U16G Yun Chang 43 84 34
    U16G Kalaydina Regina Veronicka 48 84 48
    U16G Fang Tina Fang 69 84 58
    U16G Moayyed Kimia 79 84 76

U18 Laceste Loren Brigham 21 93 16

U18G Orlova Yelizaveta 44 70 41
    U18G Fu Linda 69 70 68

Over all, Great results!
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Re: Wycc 2011 - Definite Highlights!

In the U8 Girls section, Taylor Zhang took 5, but was tied for 3rd !!!

In the U10 Open section, Yuanchen Zhang took 9th !!

In the U12 Open section, Michael Song took 3rd !!!!

In the U12 Girls section, Qiyu Zhou took 12th tied for 9th !!

In the U14 Open section, Richard Wang took 10th tied for 4th !!!

In the U18 Open section, Loren Laceste took 21st, but had to face a GM in his final round and still managed a tie with him!!!

What a team for 2011!
      Great results CANADA!

EXTRA SPECIAL thanks! go to our Head of Delegation - Andrew Giblon and Assistant Head of Delegation - Gary Gladstone for all of their hard and time-consuming work, both leading into and during the event! Together they rallied the team, brought it together in Brazil and conquered many issues onsite making the whole event what I am sure will be a very memorable one for all participants!

Thanks also to the 3 coaches: Nikolay Noritsyn, Andrew Peredun and Mikhail Egorov ... from the accounts I am getting (and seeing in pictures), all 3 of these guys were working dawn to dusk helping to prepare our players and seeing as many kids as they could. Congratulations go to these guys, as I am sure that many of the good results we got were certainly helped along with them.

I am looking forward to hearing lots of stories from you guys and from the whole team!
      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Comment

Re: Wycc 2011 - Definite Highlights!

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
        In the U8 Girls section, Taylor Zhang took 5, but was tied for 3rd !!!

In the U10 Open section, Yuanchen Zhang took 9th !!

In the U12 Open section, Michael Song took 3rd !!!!

In the U12 Girls section, Qiyu Zhou took 12th tied for 9th !!

In the U14 Open section, Richard Wang took 10th tied for 4th !!!

In the U18 Open section, Loren Laceste took 21st, but had to face a GM in his final round and still managed a tie with him!!!

What a team for 2011!
        Great results CANADA!

EXTRA SPECIAL thanks! go to our Head of Delegation - Andrew Giblon and Assistant Head of Delegation - Gary Gladstone for all of their hard and time-consuming work, both leading into and during the event! Together they rallied the team, brought it together in Brazil and conquered many issues onsite making the whole event what I am sure will be a very memorable one for all participants!

Thanks also to the 3 coaches: Nikolay Noritsyn, Andrew Peredun and Mikhail Egorov ... from the accounts I am getting (and seeing in pictures), all 3 of these guys were working dawn to dusk helping to prepare our players and seeing as many kids as they could. Congratulations go to these guys, as I am sure that many of the good results we got were certainly helped along with them.

I am looking forward to hearing lots of stories from you guys and from the whole team!
        Congratulations to all the strong finishes; in particular, Taylor Zhang who was Hazel's private student until recently when she recommended her to another coach. Chess is not an easy road for young girls so I am delighted Hazel was able to help out this young player and spur her interest. Regardless of where Taylor goes with chess, she can be proud of this fine moment in Brazil.

Comment

Re: Re : Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          All the players from Quebec were coached a lot before this tournament. The results are not as good as some people hoped, but it is definitely not because of a lack of training between the tournaments.
          What do you know exactly about the amount of coaching and preparation needed to perform successfully at that level ? How many times have you played in an international youth championship ?

Comment

Re: Wycc 2011

Give us a photo of a Canadian on the podium!!!

Congratulations to everyone.
            Thanx to those who helped and coached, posted updates and kept blogs alive.:)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              What do you know exactly about the amount of coaching and preparation needed to perform successfully at that level ? How many times have you played in an international youth championship ?
              This is ridiculous. No need to play in a WYCC to know what coaching is. These kids see their coaches at least once a week (much more often before big tournaments like this one) and work a lot :). Of course they could prepare themselves 12 hours a day for a few months, but they would have to dropout of school and I'm not really sure this is what anybody wants.

The results seem to speak by themselves ; having one canadian on the podium and three in the top 10 is a good achievement. It is sad however that Kenta had a bad finish, but it happens and I'm sure he will do better next time :) I hardly see how he could be coached more than he is actually.
              Last edited by Felix Dumont; Saturday, 26th November, 2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Wycc 2011

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                This is ridiculous. No need to play in a WYCC to know what coaching is.
                It seems that you know pretty much everything without having experienced anything by yourself, but you can't even read properly yet.

First of all I did not say you didn't know what coaching was, even though I could have. I said that you did not know about the amount of coaching needed. For your benefit I should have added "quality" of coaching, which for me went without saying. Secondly I was talking about the canadian team as a whole, not just the Quebec players. I doubt very much that you could somehow know precisely how much coaching each one of these 40 players is getting. But with you one never knows.

With the number of representatives that Canada had in Brazil (40), I find rather hard to be impressed by the overall result of one (1) bronze medal out of 120 medal chances (40 players x 3 medals) in a WYCC weaker than usual because of its location. If our coaching is fine as you say, then there must a shortage of talent and /or an unwillingness/lack of motivation from these kids to work seriously at their game. Your pick!

Personally I wouldn't buy the shortage of talent. Our kids have talent, just like the others. I think coaching and support is the missing ingredient, which may result among other consequences in lack of motivation and lack of study/work from the kids.

Comment

Congratulations to Team Canada on very good results! And especially to Michael Song, who after 8th round disaster came back to win bronze medal!

I think, that in current circumstances any medal for Canada is success. Of course, number of players in the team increases mathematical chances but that's it. If we want to know what really helps, we should look at what chess giants such as Russia do (Russia won 3 gold and 4 silver medals with a team of 31 players). This is the link to an article in Russian Chess Federation web site (in Russian) http://russiachess.org/news/all/juni...ssian_players/. It says that first place winners will get from Jan 1 till Nov 1 next year monthly bursaries of 40,000 Rubles (~1,300 CAD), and second place winners 25,000 Rubles (~800 CAD). For this amount of money one can have enough of high quality training per month, and big chunk of motivation as well. ;) Also on the same web site you can find info on training camps these kids had before WYCC. There is no need to say that chess is recognized as sport in Russia, and RCF gets governmental support.

Sending 100-players team without sufficient support and coaching will hardly help to bring more medals.

Comment

Originally posted by Vladimir Birarov View Post
                    Congratulations to Team Canada on very good results! And especially to Michael Song, who after 8th round disaster came back to win bronze medal!

I think, that in current circumstances any medal for Canada is success. Of course, number of players in the team increases mathematical chances but that's it. If we want to know what really helps, we should look at what chess giants such as Russia do (Russia won 3 gold and 4 silver medals with a team of 31 players). This is the link to an article in Russian Chess Federation web site (in Russian) http://russiachess.org/news/all/juni...ssian_players/. It says that first place winners will get from Jan 1 till Nov 1 next year monthly bursaries of 40,000 Rubles (~1,300 CAD), and second place winners 25,000 Rubles (~800 CAD). For this amount of money one can have enough of high quality training per month, and big chunk of motivation as well. ;) Also on the same web site you can find info on training camps these kids had before WYCC. There is no need to say that chess is recognized as sport in Russia, and RCF gets governmental support.

Sending 100-players team without sufficient support and coaching will hardly help to bring more medals.

Good post Vladimir!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      With the number of representatives that Canada had in Brazil (40), I find rather hard to be impressed by the overall result of one (1) bronze medal out of 120 medal chances (40 players x 3 medals)
                      1 out of 120 medals!
                      Jean, I think you have lost your mind. How can 40 kids win 120 medals in one tournament. 40 golds is not good enough? You expect them to win bronze, silver, and gold simultaneously.

I think they did great. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                        1 out of 120 medals!
                        Jean, I think you have lost your mind. How can 40 kids win 120 medals in one tournament. 40 golds is not good enough? You expect them to win bronze, silver, and gold simultaneously.

I think they did great. :)
                        bob, this is chesstalk. try not to let reality get in the way of conviction
                        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re: Wycc 2011

If I am correctly reading the Final Results posted by Patrick, it appears each and every member of Team Canada matched or surpassed their original ranking in the tournament.

How can anyone be discouraged by such improvement?!
                          I say every contingent of the team - players, coaches, parents - represented Canada more than admirably! Well done!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                            bob, this is chesstalk. try not to let reality get in the way of conviction
                            Besides the fact that there are only 36 medals (12x3) to be won, you do make an important point. ;)

Comment

1 out of 120 medals!
                              CHANCES, not medals.
                              You send a big team, you have more chances.
                              You send a very huge team, you should have almost 100% success.
                              But it could happen that even then the total count would be 0 :p

Comment

1 out of 120 medals!
                                Bob, can you understand the difference between "medal" and "medal chances" ? Each kid had three chances to win ONE medal, for a total of 120 chances (not for three medals, but for no less then 36 different medals).
                                It scares me to find out that even in math and reading skill you seem to be dysfunctional. I was under the impression that you worked in accounting. I do not know where I picked that nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X