Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - Conditions for Trespass

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
    Wake up and smell the roses people. Think a little. This happened with the G20. Police infiltrated all these groups and actually directed them as to which sites to target for vandalism, which police cars to set on fire, etc. Congratulations, we now live in a fascist state. The police set the fires, or direct others to set the fires, and then the official police come in to restore order and save the day...
    That's finally explains increase in the number of undercover officers in the last fiscal budget.
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - Park Occupation Over

CP24 Tweets:

A few protesters who had barricaded themselves inside a yurt have come out on their own volition. Peaceful resolution reached between police and yurt occupiers. "Our demands simple. Books, yurt needed to be saved." The sacred fire tent at St. James Park is now empty of protesters. CP24 reporters on the ground say arrests were made.

Bob A

Comment

Wake up and smell the roses people. The powers that be were getting concerned about the occupy people, thus in my view they infiltrated these groups big time with undercover police who dumped garbage, smashed bottles, trampled flowers, etc., the media did its part in branding these folks as druggies, etc. and the rest is history (these places have been closing quickly in the past week or so). Far fetched you say. Think a little. This happened with the G20. Police infiltrated all these groups and actually directed them as to which sites to target for vandalism, which police cars to set on fire, etc. Congratulations, we now live in a fascist state. The police set the fires, or direct others to set the fires, and then the official police come in to restore order and save the day...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2245680/
        Hey Paul here's a hammer; go smash that window over there. When you are done that go moon the mayor. When you are done that report back to me for further instructions since apparently you have no free will whatsoever and will do anything a stranger tells you to do. Or you don't think there is anything wrong with smashing windows and burning cars; maybe it's even a protected right to do so under the constitution.

Anarchists have never been shy about their violent intentions. Unless of course they get caught. Then they pretend to be three year olds without any mind of their own.

This was the same defense put up for the Toronto 18 that wanted to set off massive bombs in downtown TO. It wasn't us it was the police agent you sent to spy on us.
        Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 23rd November, 2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Occupy Toronto Protest - Conditions for Trespass

Ken, I cannot read your post. Can you please make it redder and bolder and larger!
          The results of being a senior citizen. I assume everyone else can't see as well as they used to! But, I'll try to help you with that request.

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - Park Occupation Over

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            CP24 Tweets:

A few protesters who had barricaded themselves inside a yurt have come out on their own volition. Peaceful resolution reached between police and yurt occupiers. "Our demands simple. Books, yurt needed to be saved." The sacred fire tent at St. James Park is now empty of protesters. CP24 reporters on the ground say arrests were made.

Bob A
            I knew it, I knew it was the Mongolians behind all of this. Them and their yurt lifestyle.

Comment

Occupy Toronto Protest - Conditions for Trespass

I'm heading out to my bank now which is across the street from the "hopefully empty" park. It will be a pleasure to see the park empty again, maybe even being cleaned.

Comment

Hi Zeljko:

There are bylaws about what is allowed for the public to do in a park - in Toronto, no dogs off leashes, except in designated areas. There are others.

My point was that there was no factual information that the woman arrested was also one who had erected a tent/structure, which might support a " trespasser " conviction, since left there after Superior Court Justice Brown's judgment that structures were illegal and had to be dismantled. If she was just a supporter who had come in after 5:30 AM, what did she do to warrant a " trespass " charge?? If she was somehow blocking police activity, then some other charge may be warranted - but " trespass "??

Bob A
                No factual information provided by the media who may not share your fine legal mind. :D:D However, the police officers who were there may have more direct knowledge of her activities visa vie tent erection. Is it necessary for her to have erected the tent herself or merely have been occupying it? Perhaps this will come out in court. If I am trespassing all night and then it turns 5:30am does that mean you can't charge me with it unless I do it again next night? Isn't that sort of like saying yes I was violating the law earlier but I'm not right now so you can't arrest me for it?

In other news me and my dog are going to challenge those bylaws. We have rights you know.
                Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 23rd November, 2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - 1st Arrest Charge - Conviction?

Hi Zeljko:

A fine legal mind!

We don't know from our unsophisticated ( legally ) media, whether she was in the park earlier than 5:30 AM. So we'll have to wait for this great case to come to court to learn all the lurid details.

Except that the charges will be dropped ( because there is no basis for conviction ) since the police achieved their purpose of getting her to leave the park with an improper arrest.

Bob A

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - 1st Arrest

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                    You have the right to be in the park but does that mean you have the right to erect a tent there while you are in the park? How about a lean to? How about a log cabin? Could I hold a soccer game there and prevent others from using the park? Could I ride my horse in the park? Could I hold horse races there? Could I hold bike races? Or more appropriately for this time of year dog sled races? Is there no legal limit to what I can do in the park after 530am as long as I'm gone by midnight? Could I roast a pig on a spit?
                    Zeljko, you have valid point here. I suggest we should build igloos with the first snowstorm! Who needs tents.
                    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - Good Day for Toronto

A good day for Toronto!

Protesters and police seemed to work out a reasonable enough plan for non-violent termination of the illegal occupation of public property ( according to the judicial system ).

Occupy Toronto now needs to work on another pubic strategy which will keep their cause in the spotlight.

Any armchair supporters ( or ones on the ground ) have any suggestions as to what next?

Bob A
                      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 23rd November, 2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - 1st Arrest

Here is some more information on what the police have been up to....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...n.html?cmp=rss

Comment

The undercover officers were hardly strangers to the people they were spying on; they became trusted friends over the 18 months they were spying. In fact one of them moved in and became roommates with the people she was spying on. Do you not see anything wrong with this?

Comment

Still too small. Make it so large that one red letter covers the entire white area so that we do not have to read what you say...

Comment

Re: Occupy Toronto Protest - 1st Arrest Charge - Conviction?

Hi Zeljko:

A fine legal mind!

We don't know from our unsophisticated ( legally ) media, whether she was in the park earlier than 5:30 AM. So we'll have to wait for this great case to come to court to learn all the lurid details.

Except that the charges will be dropped ( because there is no basis for conviction ) since the police achieved their purpose of getting her to leave the park with an improper arrest.

Bob A
                              So every time the crown decides to drop charges it means it was an improper arrest? Maybe sometimes it's also easier for the accused to just have the charges dropped. Returning to the park later if she likes. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what Crowns consider when they decide whether or not to proceed with criminal charges through our jammed court system. I only know that people that committed fraud with Ontario Works are often not charged criminally, for example, because the courts are too busy to justify doing so, unless the amount involved is very substantial. Instead they are assessed an overpayment, that's why Hamilton alone has over 20 million dollars in unpaid overpayments.

Comment

The undercover officers were hardly strangers to the people they were spying on; they became trusted friends over the 18 months they were spying. In fact one of them moved in and became roommates with the people she was spying on. Do you not see anything wrong with this?
                                What police officers can't have roommates?

Apparently activists are very much in need of friends. Perhaps they lack them in general. Interestingly enough all the activists charged are claiming to be almost total strangers to each other. You'd think if they needed friends so much they would have gravitated to like minded people. Or at least been friends on Facebook. Or was that just to avoid the conspiracy charges?

So if say a trusted friend told you to smash windows and moon the mayor you'd be right there front and centre?

I don't care whether it's to stop the Toronto 18 from blowing up downtown Toronto, the FLQ from doing the same in Quebec in the 70's, stopping the Sikh extremists who blew up an Air India flight, stop organized motorcylcle gangs or other criminal groups or violent activists. Police undercover operations are a valid way of collecting intelligence.

Telling the activists that they shouldn't consider vandalism would be a good way to get kicked out of the group and lose that intelligence source. As one anarchist group kicked out an officer who showed up uninvited to a planning meeting - so much for trusted friendship.
                                Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Wednesday, 23rd November, 2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X