Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Dilip:

When Democratic Marxist parties appear with strong backing across the globe, hopefully before it is too late, believe me, the system will be changed.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
    Can we have a preview of that changed system?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

Well the right thing to do would be to change the system, rather than becoming school kids saying 'he hit me first, so I hit him back'...
      Are you belittling my billionaires wealth tax proposal?

In my humble opinion, my proposal is indeed a significant change to the system. It creates an upper limit on individual wealth at 1 billion dollars. This is a simple and elegant first step to solving the problem of grotesque levels of income & wealth inequality.

The next step would be to add a system of Universal Basic Income.
      Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 7th April, 2022, 08:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

In my humble opinion, my proposal is indeed a significant change to the system. It creates an upper limit on individual wealth at 1 billion dollars. This is a simple and elegant first step to solving the problem of grotesque levels of income & wealth inequality.

Good Luck!
        (you're certainly going to need lots of it...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

Good Luck!
          (you're certainly going to need lots of it...)
          I wonder how genuine you are in wishing Bob G. good luck in his billionaires' tax proposal. If somehow it came into being, and then worked at reducing the wealth gap in Canada, and if reducing that gap actually improved Canada's economic health by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude.... would you applaud that? Would you admit that Libertarianism is flawed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I like the idea of streamlining payments to the welfare, disabled, seniors, at home mothers and get rid of payments to the social worker bureaucrats and their buildings. But it will cost $51 billion, lifting 1.6 million families out of poverty. And affordable housing needs to be part of the solution.

The two major issues with Government are how to get and spend money. Liberals like to spend on new services, programs and community infrastructure/events that gets them attention to get reelected. They will give millions to industries that will create jobs. They will borrow money without regard of paying it back.

The only source of new tax income has to be a millionaire/billionaire tax as they are the only people with excess money/capital. But it won't be enough to pay off the yearly $50 billion interest payment. The debt per Canadian has recently, with Covid, doubled to $72,911. Worse, government spending seems to always increase, especially for hospitals and schools. Government bureaucracies, once created, exist forever. So even with the wealth tax, the government will still be paying interest forever.

So the Conservatives like a yearly balanced budget that should not increase the deficit but they like to blow the money on tax cuts to get reelected. Although they support increased spending for military and police, they seek to reduce programs that are for poor people. They seek private medical and education options that pay employees lower wages, benefits and pensions. Government has been inefficient, for example, look at the billions spent on Toronto's homeless without a solution in sight.

Hence the fantasy solutions of Libertarian and Marxist religions who dream of heavenly paradise on Earth while we destroy the planet.

Comment

• Well, let's bring the discussion back to global warming.

Here is an upbeat video released just a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxgM...%93InaNutshell

I don't know whether or not it is a fair and accurate assessment of where we are, or a propaganda piece from Oil & Gas Industry.

The basic message is that progress has been made over the past decade so that we can expect global temperature rise of 3 degrees by 2100, but we will avoid the apocalyptic levels of 4 - 8 degrees previously feared. I don't think we should just relax and expect it will magically stop at 3 degrees.

I wonder what everyone thinks. If anyone wants to fact check these guys, please proceed.

Comment

• The 1.5° Celsius goal is all but dead

It was once the pinnacle of humanity’s climate ambitions. A new UN-led climate report essentially concedes that it’s out of reach.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...eekly%20Planet

UN climate report: Carbon removal is now “essential”

Removing the greenhouse gas from the air will likely be necessary, along with radical emissions cuts, to keep temperatures from rising 2˚C.

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...eid=c1a8ffafd2

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 10th April, 2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  The 1.5° Celsius goal is all but dead

It was once the pinnacle of humanity’s climate ambitions. A new UN-led climate report essentially concedes that it’s out of reach.

UN climate report: Carbon removal is now “essential”
                  Giving up on the goal of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees is soul crushing, but acknowledging reality is important.

The battle must continue, but what targets do we set?
                  First, is to understand the math. Do the math!!

From the UN report, I find the following passages.

"​​​​​​Last year, worldwide energy-related carbon dioxide topped 36 billion tons, setting a new record as the global economy sprang back from the depths of the pandemic.

​​​​​​The UN report suggests that it’s now nearly impossible to prevent 1.5 ˚C of global warming without substantial efforts to remove carbon—and very, very difficult to steer clear of 2 ˚C without it as well.

Preventing the former with only minimal levels of carbon dioxide removal would require cutting global greenhouse-gas emissions to about 31 billion tons per year by 2030, as the median estimate, the report finds. That means nearly slashing emissions in half in eight years.

​​​​​​Loosening the goal to 2 ˚C would basically provide an additional decade to halve climate pollution, to 29 billion tons of emissions by 2040."

Someone please help me understand the math.
                  We are at 36 billion tons, 31 billion is not half of 36 billion.
                  Also re. 2040, 29 billion is not half of 31 billion?

Is anyone understanding these numbers?

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Monday, 11th April, 2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• CT Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change Thread

Week # 15 (22/4/6 – 12)

Weekly Stats:

....................................................2022 Average............................................................... 2022 Average

.............................Last Week's.....Views/Day.......................................Last Week's.........Responses/Day.

Views/Day...........Views/Day.......(To Date)........Responses/Day......Responses/Day........ (To Date)

......50.........................60.....................66...............................2.................................4 .............................4

Stats Analysis

The the activity in the thread has stabilized and is close to that for 2022 so far.

The Pressing Climate Change Issue

The core issue, IMHO, IS how to get society to perceive the issue as URGENT, as it is.

What action is needed from climate activists to “AWAKEN” the public that this issue cannot just continuously be kicked down the road? Nature's Tipping point is estimated to be, on current trajectory, only 9 years away (Around Jan. 1, 2031).

The last report of the UN Climate Change Panel clearly stated that the window of opportunity to save ourselves is fast closing. Capping the temperature rise at only 1.5 degrees Celsius is now impossible. It noted that current government deadlines were totally insufficient to solve the problem. CO 2 must be capped by 2025! And for the first time, CO 2 removal has now become a necessary part of the solution.

Time is fast running out!

The Large Picture Solutions

Can we come up with at least one or two viable suggestions of impressive, radical things that might wake up the public, that we could then put out there to other concerned client activists?

CT'ers' Local Actions on Climate Change

You can do something! When you like one of this thread's links on an aspect of climate change, spread the news by posting it to your social media accounts and other Websites/Discussion Boards you participate in!

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

• Some (Kinda) Good Climate News: 2 Degrees Is Doable

Humans could keep global warming below 2 degrees Celsius, new research shows, but only if countries actually stick to their pledges.

https://www.wired.com/story/some-kin...ees-is-doable/

The bad news is that we can no longer cap the temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius, which has long been the "necessary" target.

So we have no choice but to try again to set a "doable" target, even though it clearly will wreak more havoc than if we could have met the 1.5 degrees. We can only do what we can do.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• The Americas - USA

Big U.S. Utilities Are Undermining Climate Goals, Study Says

InfluenceMap analysis says 11 large U.S. utilities are ‘obstructive’ to climate policy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n=openamericas

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• CT Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change Thread

Week # 16 (22/4/13 – 19)

Weekly Stats:

....................................................2022 Average............................................................... 2022 Average

.............................Last Week's.....Views/Day.......................................Last Week's.........Responses/Day.

Views/Day...........Views/Day.......(To Date)........Responses/Day......Responses/Day........ (To Date)

....11.........................50...................6.2.................................1............................2 ...............................2

Stats Analysis

The activity in the thread has dropped this last week. The reason is that I have not posted many new climate change posts more recently, and I am the main new poster (Though there are a number of others who will often respond to new input). I hope to make somewhat more posts this coming week.

The Pressing Climate Change Issue

The core issue, IMHO, IS how to get society to perceive the issue as URGENT, as it is.

What action is needed from climate activists to “AWAKEN” the public that this issue cannot just continuously be kicked down the road? Nature's Tipping point is estimated to be, on current trajectory, only 9 years away (Around Jan. 1, 2031).

The last report of the UN Climate Change Panel clearly stated that the window of opportunity to save ourselves is fast closing. Capping the temperature rise at only 1.5 degrees Celsius is now impossible. It noted that current government deadlines were totally insufficient to solve the problem. CO 2 must be capped by 2025! And for the first time, CO 2 removal has now become a necessary part of the solution.

Time is fast running out!

The Large Picture Solutions

Can we come up with at least one or two viable suggestions of impressive, radical things that might wake up the public, that we could then put out there to other concerned client activists?

CT'ers Local Actions on Climate Change

You can do something! When you like one of this thread's links on an aspect of climate change, spread the news by posting it to your social media accounts and other Websites/Discussion Boards you participate in!

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

• Back in 2019 climate change looked like it might become the big issue to which attention would be devoted worldwide. Then the pandemic, then Putin... It seems as though humans are putting up their dukes and that they are going to have it out. It is in our nature. I do not know if a miracle/shift/transition, or an Armageddon/Second Coming is possible/forthcoming. We do live in culminating Historical times. There have been interesting stories/theories about ET hovering above nuclear silos and messing up the works. Maybe ET intervenes if we try to set off the nukes, which seems inevitable now. Maybe we blow ourselves up, maybe we work our way out of this and survive. Nobody knows...
                            An Evening with The Allman Brothers Band: First Set - 07 - Nobody Knows - YouTube

Comment

• Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

The Americas - Canada

Extreme Heat

Irreversible Extreme Heat, penned by experts at the Intact Centre on Climate Change at the University of Waterloo, says “Canadian alarm bells should be ringing” about the risk of intense heat.

Subscribers Only

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...mhAW4S4QM2hoOG

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opin...meat-1.6424924

If you really care about the climate crisis, you should go vegetarian...

(I wonder how many of the vocal proponents here are veggie...)
                                Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Friday, 22nd April, 2022, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X