Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Pargat:

I really don't have a problem with the issue of type of government arising in the climate change thread. I don't see it as high-jacking this thread.

I believe that in fact the only saving answer is a change of governments across the planet to Environmental Parties (Though Bob G and I, and you, are somewhat skeptical of the type of government proposed by Dilip).

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

are somewhat skeptical of the type of government...

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
      Hey Bob, what one needs to be skeptical about is the national pie shrinking, as in Venezuela or the erstwhile Soviet Union, or current day Russia...

Comment

• Hi Dilip:

There is a problem with exponential growth of the pie.

There is a natural principle that must be respected: sustainability.

What is needed is a sharing, equally, of the pie.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Stopping Climate Change Is Doable, but Time Is Short, U.N. Panel Warns

A major new scientific report offers a road map for how countries can limit global warming, but warns that the margin for error is vanishingly small.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/04/c...d396a4debfd6ce

I fear that the window of opportunity to avoid passing the tipping point is somewhat shorter than the UN acknowledges.........but I do agree that it is still doable.

But dramatic change in the course of our action is required NOW for it to be doable.

~ Bob A (T-S/P).

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I thought Bob A. started a separate thread for this discussion of political systems?

Meanwhile, I find it so amusing that Dilip still tries getting Bob G., who is very obviously an avowed environmentalist, to think about "ways to enlarge our pie." Yeah, that's what the world needs, humans enlarging their pie. Let's burn down the ENTIRE Amazon rainforest, dammit! More steak dinners for everyone!

Dilip wants to "rechannel the energy of the population" towards "baking a pie for themselves". He fails to realize that greed motivates each such pie baker to steal ingredients from other pie bakers, and to force slave labor to do all the baking in slave factories, thus ensuring that THEIR pie gets ever bigger and bigger.

Dilip not only doesn't know anything about human behavior, he also doesn't even know WHO he's talking to.

Bob G. has already come out in favor of rules and regulations, for the sensible reason that they are needed to stop corporate thugs from running roughshod over both people and the environment. If progress ... aka "enlarging our pie" ... is slowed down in the process, that is a good thing. Progress needs to be evaluated in terms of its social effects. We have more "smart" devices than ever before -- smartphones, tablets, drones, computers, etc. -- and we have more MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES than ever before to go along with them.
            Thanks Pargat. I approve this message!

Dilip, you do state the case very well for the “grow the pie” argument, very popular in Conservative circles in support of laissez-faire Capitalism. Most of us will recognize it as the “baked goods” version of trickle-down economics championed by Ronald Reagan’s Presidency in the nineteen eighties. It sounds good in theory, but after several decades of implementation, we now see the real-world result. The pie slices of the wealthy have grown enormously, while the pie slices for the poor have shrunk. Even the pie slices for the middle class have shrunk. The inequality is most exaggerated in the USA, where social safety nets like universal health care, are the weakest. Please look at what is really happening, don’t just assume everyone’s pie slice is growing. The working poor, particularly in the USA, work long hours, struggle to pay the rent, unable to afford health insurance, suffer with untreated health issues, burdened with credit card debt, no vacations, unable to afford nutritious food, they are literally starving to an early death on their tiny slice of the economic pie.

The pie is big enough for everyone to prosper. A more equitable distribution of the economic pie could eliminate so much suffering and pain. It would in turn grow the pie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              The pie is big enough for everyone to prosper.
              Currently, maybe. But if entrepreneurs go on strike, and the government has to 'manage' businesses, you will be stunned at how quickly and how dramatically it shrinks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

Currently, maybe. But if entrepreneurs go on strike, and the government has to 'manage' businesses, you will be stunned at how quickly and how dramatically it shrinks!
                Irrelevant. My tax is not on entrepreneurs. It is a tax calculated on the wealth of billionaires. Sure, some of them maybe entrepreneurs, but many of them have simply inherited their wealth and make no contribution other than investing their money. Anybody can do that. Not deserving of a large slice of pie.

Comment

My tax is not on entrepreneurs. It is a tax calculated on the wealth of billionaires. Sure, some of them maybe entrepreneurs, but many of them have simply inherited their wealth and make no contribution other than investing their money. Anybody can do that. Not deserving of a large slice of pie.
                  So rather than having a blanket tax which also unfairly steals from some true entrepreneurs, we need a system in which passive investment is not disproportionately rewarded....

Comment

Irrelevant. My tax is not on entrepreneurs. It is a tax calculated on the wealth of billionaires. Sure, some of them maybe entrepreneurs, but many of them have simply inherited their wealth and make no contribution other than investing their money. Anybody can do that. Not deserving of a large slice of pie.

And you can even have exemptions for those true entrepreneurs. Each startup company launched in the tax year grants some amount of exemption from the billionaires tax, with some exemptions being bigger for specific sectors of the economy such as green initiatives. And if the startup company actually hires employees, an even bigger exemption. This allows your policy to be entrepreneur friendly and green industry friendly via direct tax policy.

Dilip on the other hand would rather remove all regulations and rely on entrepreneurs to somehow magically "want" to do the right things for humanity and society. I really don't understand his simplistic and irrational thinking. He ignores the lessons of history re: human greed and selfishness. And when I ask him for details on how this will automagically come about with libertarianism, he is silent. He'd be decimated in any political debate.

Comment

So rather than having a blanket tax which also unfairly steals from some true entrepreneurs, we need a system in which passive investment is not disproportionately rewarded....
                      And btw most current top billionnaires are individuals who earned their wealth by entrepreneurship over the years... greedy are those who hope to get a free lunch, and more, out of these billionnaires' earnings....

Comment

• CT Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change Thread

Week # 14 (22/3/30 – 4/5)

Weekly Stats:

....................................................2022 Average............................................................... 2022 Average

.............................Last Week's.....Views/Day.......................................Last Week's.........Responses/Day.

Views/Day...........Views/Day.......(To Date)........Responses/Day......Responses/Day........ (To Date)

....60.........................46.....................67..............................4..................................2 .............................4

Note: There is a flurry of activity when a thread starts, and then it tapers off and levels. This generally tends to keep the 2022 Average to date higher, for a long while, than a later weekly stable current rate.

Stats Analysis

The thread is more participatory than last week! And the activity is close to that for 2022 so far.

There seems to be, now, a relatively stable participation in this thread, even after 14 weeks!

My posting new material regularly on various aspects of climate change, as I came across them, does promote more interaction.

The Pressing Climate Change Issue

The core issue, IMHO, IS how to get society to perceive the issue as URGENT, as it is. What action is needed from climate activists to “AWAKEN” the public that this issue cannot just continuously be kicked down the road? Nature's Tipping point is estimated to be, on current trajectory, only 9 years away (Around Jan. 1, 2031).

The last report of the UN Climate Change Panel clearly stated that the window of opportunity to save ourselves is fast closing. It noted that current government deadlines were totally insufficient to solve the problem. CO 2 must be capped by 2025!

Time is fast running out!

The Large Picture Solutions

Can we come up with at least one or two viable suggestions of impressive, radical things that might wake up the public, that we could then put out there to other concerned client activists?

CT'ers' Local Actions on Climate Change

You can do something! When you like one of this thread's links on an aspect of climate change, spread the news by posting it to your social media accounts and other Websites/Discussion Boards you participate in!

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

And btw most current top billionnaires are individuals who earned their wealth by entrepreneurship over the years... greedy are those who hope to get a free lunch, and more, out of these billionnaires' earnings....
                          In my humble opinion, "earned" is not an appropriate term here. I would say they were able to "take" or "extort" their wealth from a system biased in their favour. In an equitable economic system, no individual would be able to accumulate more than a billion dollars. Thus my billionaire wealth tax is designed to correct this distortion.

The greedy are those who believe they are entitled to more than a billion dollars. Their excess wealth should indeed be used to provide a free lunch to all who are starving.

A billionaire is a billionaire. No exceptions for entrepreneurs.

Note: My proposed billionaire tax is calculated on wealth, not income. It is in addition to other taxes, not meant to replace any other tax. Only those with wealth in excess of 1 billion dollars are taxed. Wealth includes all global sources, legal or not, hidden or not, at market values.

Yes, or course many accountants and lawyers will be employed to avoid the billionaire tax. But hire as many tax collectors needed for enforcement.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 6th April, 2022, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• Even if the masses do understand the problems as URGENT, they will simply say, let us therefore have our fun while we can, and they will do nothing about the problems. This is what is already happening. People will have their kicks kicks before the world goes up in flames.

Comment

I would say they were able to "take" or "extort" their wealth from a system biased in their favour.
                              Well the right thing to do would be to change the system, rather than becoming school kids saying 'he hit me first, so I hit him back'...

Comment

• Hi Dilip:

When Democratic Marxist parties appear with strong backing across the globe, hopefully before it is too late, believe me, the system will be changed.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Working...
                                X