The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Vlad is just jealous because he didn't get to meet Elizabeth May! :)
    Elizabeth May is bat-shit crazy, she compared the conservatives to the Nazi's, I'm no fan of the conservatives but that is just stupid...
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Adam; I do not think she was discussing the conservatives; maybe it was one policy of theirs? Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment. Look at what she actually said; I think that it was taken out of context by the media.

Comment

The whole thing started out when she compared the conservative's environment plan to Neville Chamberlain's appeasement of the Nazi's. Then the media might have blown it out of proportion saying that she also called Harper a Nazi(or atleast compared him to one). Her comments are still not appropriate...
        Canada.com news article on Elizabeth May controversy
        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          I think that it was taken out of context by the media.
          Well, I think the Tories are much closer to crazy than May is, though I am a fan of neither.

Comment

Adam; so she actually compared the Conservative policy/plan to a similar weak policy/idea of Chamberlain. The "noise" was media generated.

I think a major problem with the Conservative policies is that they are not science/fact based. They get all the facts and science; and then do what they want with the policy (basing it on ideological thinking).

Cases of point:
            1) Census policy is opposed unanimously by statisticians, scientists, etc.
            2) Getting tougher on crime (building more prisons) flys in the face of crime rates that have been dropping for years, justified by "unreported crimes".
            3) Non-existent climate change policy; ignoring the reality of the science

Comment

Adam; so she actually compared the Conservative policy/plan to a similar weak policy/idea of Chamberlain. The "noise" was media generated.

I think a major problem with the Conservative policies is that they are not science/fact based. They get all the facts and science; and then do what they want with the policy (basing it on ideological thinking).

Cases of point:
              2) Getting tougher on crime (building more prisons) flys in the face of crime rates that have been dropping for years, justified by "unreported crimes".
              It doesn't much matter what May thinks. She's simply leads another party which will split the left wing vote and the environmentalists. She's well past her "best before" date and a replacement leader is in order.

Layton and Iggy are flogging the same policies when it's not their turn to support the conservatives in a vote.

In our first past the post system it's unlikely a Green Party member will win a riding.

Actually those points you mentioned are the reason I like the Conservatives. I'd like to see them with a majority.

Probably this fall or next spring the Prime Minister will have to call an election to clear the air. The opposition parties seem to be more intent on watching the polls for signs of a miracle. Fair weather politicians. It's kind of like global warming. While they oppose global warming they wait for their poll numbers to warm up. That's what I call incontinence, or is it inconsistency.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
                Elizabeth May is bat-shit crazy, she compared the conservatives to the Nazi's, I'm no fan of the conservatives but that is just stupid...
                I agree with this post.

Comment

Adam; I do not think she was discussing the conservatives; maybe it was one policy of theirs? Sometimes people say things in the heat of the moment. Look at what she actually said; I think that it was taken out of context by the media.
                  Right,...

That would be the same media that repeats every idiotic pronouncement that she makes and tries to convince us that her dross is gold?

She violated Godwin's law.

She is totally lacking in substance. She does sound quite shrill in leadership debates. Her and Dion probably should have got a room after that last "debate". She is incapable of getting elected even when the Liberals don't run a candidate against her so as not to split the vote.

I would say that the emperor has no clothes but the image that would project would be profoundly distasteful.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Probably this fall or next spring the Prime Minister will have to call an election to clear the air.
                    So he will be "forced" to break his own law again eh Gary? Do you approve of law breaking?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                      So he will be "forced" to break his own law again eh Gary? Do you approve of law breaking?
                      He is not breaking the law according to the judge that heard the case last time. Besides it will be Iggy that forces an election because his poll numbers look good that week.

Comment

Cases of point:
                        1) The people whining about the census are not scientists. They are the bureaucrats that need the data to justify increasing taxes. I don't care what they want.

2) The last few times that I reported crimes the net result was zero. None of my property was ever recovered and I wasted a lot of time in a totally non-productive way. The next few times that the same thing happened, I didn't bother reporting it and oddly enough I managed to recover some of my property. Just because I didn't report it doesn't mean no crime was committed.

3) The "science" is fudged and the data lost because it has been destroyed but we are supposed to trust them because they are climate "scientists". :D

Comment

Vlad and Gary. Where is Bonhommes post on this. After all, you guys are the "Three Stooges".

Gary, are you not also past your "best before date". Don't be an emperor so that Vlad does not imagine distasteful images.

Vlad, regarding my initial 3 points:

1) I am a member of CAG (Canadian Association of Geographers) and am on their listserve, and all the emails that come across from scientists, geographers, and statisticians are negative. One of the fundamental requirements of any survey is that is is from a RANDOM SAMPLE. This CANNOT be obtained from a volunteer sample. If you argue this point, you have a profound gap in your statistical knowledge. Please confirm this fact in your response.

2) Lock your door next time.

3) You know not what you are spewing?

Comment

Vlad and Gary. Where is Bonhommes post on this. After all, you guys are the "Three Stooges".

Gary, are you not also past your "best before date". Don't be an emperor so that Vlad does not imagine distasteful images.

Vlad, regarding my initial 3 points:

1) I am a member of CAG (Canadian Association of Geographers) and am on their listserve, and all the emails that come across from scientists, geographers, and statisticians are negative. One of the fundamental requirements of any survey is that is is from a RANDOM SAMPLE. This CANNOT be obtained from a volunteer sample. If you argue this point, you have a profound gap in your statistical knowledge. Please confirm this fact in your response.

2) Lock your door next time.

3) You know not what you are spewing?
                            Hiya Paul,

Actually, I think you are an asshole. As such you never have to worry about your best before date. Your "science" will always entertain.

Lately your posts have become nasty. Clean them up and you'll move from the asshole category to someone with whom it's worth exchanging posts.

You simply can't IMPOSE controversial "science" on people.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hello Gary;

I used the same phrase that you and Vlad used to describe Elizabeth May; what is your problem. If you cannot "take it" then why "dish it out"?

Climate change science is NOT controversial with the scientists. I am not imposing anything on anyone; just giving people information and sources of information.

I highly recommend reading the present link. It shows that there is NOTHING controversial about climate science. The controversy is with the public and politicians and people who have vested interest in the status quo (specifically the fossil fuel based energy supply).
                              http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20....full.pdf+html
                              Last edited by Paul Beckwith; Tuesday, 17th August, 2010, 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

That last unprovoked sentence shows what a disservice you do to the science you supposedly serve.

Bonhomme is still waiting for a rebuttal to his claims that your constant republishing here of various weather events, and specifically your claim that these events are more frequent and more severe than in the past, is totally bogus unless by "the past" you mean within a human generation. And if that's what you mean, such a claim doesn't prove anything in the context of global warming, and I dare you to rebutt that.

Until you offer such rebuttal, you forfeit the point.

I hope this means that forthcoming severe weather events won't put this thread back at the top because you want to play Chicken Little again.

Oh, and please go back and check, I did not swear anything on a stack of Bibles. I "swore" on a stack of Cher Final Farewell Tour posters going back at least 20 years (one for each year), along with Brett Favre retirement announcements! :D
                                Only the rushing is heard...
                                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                                X