Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    The foundation history goes back to 1960, 50 years. Do we have 50 years of good financial records? I don't know, but I will ask. :)

I would like to see a complete history of the Foundation myself. :D
    I've got from 1960 to 1973. The annual bottom line figures are on one page. The rest is statement of intent, foundation constitution, and so forth. I also have the complete CFC handbook from back then.

Does the CFC or foundation not have this?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Bob has captured the main points.

The Foundation's mandate is to invest the money collected since 1960 from Life Memberships and occasional donations and to hand over the income generated every year to the CFC.
      This represents an unwritten contract with the Life Members and benefactors who made the contributions with that understanding and it provides the CFC with income to service the Life Members who pay no annual membership fees.

Aside from Life Memberships, there have been 3 significant contributions to the Foundation:
      1. Kalev Pugi made a donation some 20 years ago on the condition that the income be used to assist junior players seeking norms;
      2. The Toronto Chess League made a donation about 12 years ago;
      3. Some of the funds from the sale of the CFC condo were placed in the Foundation for safekeeping about a year ago. I was requested by the CFC Executive to keep $10,000 of that in cash as a contingency to pay for the web site renewal.

As far as I am concerned, the mandate of the CFC Constitution (to invest the assets wisely and to hand over all income to the CFC) is sound. As the Foundation grows, the CFC will gain increasing revenue and more flexibility to offer services to the members.

Don't forget to include the Foundation in your estate planning.

your humble Foundation Treasurer
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Sorry, Gary's posting came in while I was preparing mine. Yes, I have the entire history of the Foundation. Much of it pre-dates the electronic age but when I took over as treasurer from Lynn Stringer, she gave me a box full of documentation. In 1960 the Foundation earned $2.57 for the CFC!
        Every year my predecessor Lynn Stringer submitted a detailed report to the CFC and anyone can go back to the various GL's and AGM minutes to see those. I have continued to do this and also to provide a semi-annual report to members on the CFC Chat site.
        Paul Leblanc

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          Sorry, Gary's posting came in while I was preparing mine. Yes, I have the entire history of the Foundation. Much of it pre-dates the electronic age but when I took over as treasurer from Lynn Stringer, she gave me a box full of documentation. In 1960 the Foundation earned $2.57 for the CFC!
          That does not show in the records I have.

In 1960 the foundation started with 5 donation totalling $125.00. Year end was June 30th. The fund total was $125.00.
          In 1961 the amount of interest earned was $3.87. The fund total $580.00.

Where did the $2.57 come from? Since you have the "entire history" of the foundation that should be an easy question.

Also, the Pugi Fund was started as you say, as far as I know. Did the CFC make donations to the Pugi fund to increase the principal?
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Tell me about Lithuanian chess.
            There are not many professional players - GMs Rozentalis (he is coming to 2010'CO), Šulskis, Kveinys in Lithuania. I should mention g Algimantas Butnorius, who won the World Seniors championship in 2007, and Viktorija Čmilytė, the last player to become a Lithuanian GM and the European Women's vice-champion. (FIDE list of Lithuanian players - http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=LTU )

Chess is considered a non-Olympic sport in Lithuania, meaning it has less financial government support. Monies are delivered to a federation account. They are used to send teams to Olympiad and European championships, and something left for a director and small expanses. However, the last year the government reduced the amount (a crisis...)

On other hand, the government supports kids busyness by operating sports "schools", where some towns have chess sections. (This is a soviet heritage.) Recently U10-U14 tournaments took place >> results at http://chess-results.com/tnr31663.as...1&m=-1&wi=1000

Chess clubs (~20) are active in Leagues with two divisions.
            My hometown (~20k population) chess club is open three days per week offering blitz tournaments and casual chess. It organizes an active regional chess tournament, and the last summer re-started FIDE rated tournaments. (Other Lithuanian chess activities might be found at my website.)

Chess politics
            Federation members (including member-clubs) meet every two years to elect the board. As the rule, the president became somebody known in politics (like a MP. Now this stopped.) The vice-presidents and other people are from chess community, who do all work.
            Always there are who are not happy with done work :) e.g., the switch from a closed to a Swiss format for the National championship.

There are many girls playing chess. Thus keeping boys as well :)

Comment

Judging from some of the comments on "foundations", it seems few people on here understand the concept. I haven't a clue about the details of the chess foundation, but do know a little about Community Foundations.

Over the past twenty years or so, these have become a popular mechanism for "directed" charity donations. The idea is that people can donate sums of money into the foundation, where it is held in trust, hopefully under the management of reputable financial advisors....don't laugh....yet! Each year, interest or other returns on that fund is given to the cause(s) that the foundation was establish to support. None of the base fund can be used in this way - it exists solely to generate revenue, and hopefully provide some financial stability to the charities of choice, and named in the terms of reference.

In the good old days of high interest rates and market returns, this was a very good way of maintaining ongoing support for your charities of choice. These days, it is a little more difficult, but the basic premise remains, the fund is maintained solely to generate monies for charity, and can not be diminished.

Each foundation operates under very clear terms of reference, with clear objectives, and with an independent board, and the whole thing has to be legally established to satisfy foundation rules, and not least Revenue Canada, to maintain all the perks of taxes and charitable donations.

From what I read, this is in fact the way in which the Chess Foundation is currently operating, is the correct way, and any change would probably mean dismantling the whole thing, and I suspect the disbursement of funds would not be as straightforward as some would hope.

I apologise if this comes across as telling the chess world out there how to suck eggs, but it is quite likely that if the foundation is established under Canadian law for foundations, in no way are their monies part of the CFC , and even the annual payments from interest earned, while contemplated in their terms of reference, are still subject to the decision of the foundation board....which had better be independent of the CFC.

I'm sure some of the drones on here will tell me I'm wrong. Maybe someone who actually knows can reply as well?
              Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
                BRAMPTON ACTIVE SPRING CHESS TOURNAMENT
                Saturday, April 24, 2010
                http://torontochess.org/drupal/chess...nt#comment-403
                On April 1st, 2010 Anonymous (not verified) says:
                Brampton Spring Active Chess Tournament This Event has been Canceled for April 24, 2010.
                Erwin, may you confirm or deny this anonymous comment?

Comment

The potential problems with this specific chess foundation :

1. A large sum of money collected specifically to build a chess club in
                  Toronto was donated into the foundation. No such chess club was
                  ever built in Toronto.

2. Chess is fundamentally changing in Canada. One has to ask if a chess
                  federation that is not solvent or only solvent if it cuts basic services really
                  needs a giant foundation storing its only resources.

For example, if the CFC as we know it is liquidated, what will be the purpose of this foundation ? Or if it is not liquidated, at what rate can it "borrow" foundation funds before the relationship gets difficult ?

Comment

• Chess Foundation of Canada

Hi Fred:

My memory may be foggy on this, so someone from the executive, or a trustee of the Foundation can correct me if I'm wrong:

1. The Chess Foundation of Canada is not a separate corporation; it is an entity set up by the CFC ( like a sub-business ); so all funds in the Chess Foundation are really CFC funds. I believe tax receipts are issued by the CFC, which is a charitable corporation.

2. As such, the CFC could disband the Foundation at any time, and take all moneys.

3. The CFC wished to protect the funds from itself to the extent possible. So it created the Foundation with Trustees, and treats the entity at arm's length. So it calls for trustee decisions re the funds, and respects their wishes. Thus CFC " agreed " to " borrow " money from the Foundation in some deficit years, and " pay it back " ( which it did ), when that is what the Trustees wanted.

Hope I'm not screwing up the facts here. I'd like someone with a more direct role to confirm whether I've got it right.

Bob

Comment

• Re: Chess Foundation of Canada

O.K. I did a rather siily thing, and looked at what the CFC site says about the foundation! Clearly it is based on a model that evolved into the Community Foudation concept, with the following difference.

"1405. Foundation Board of Trustees. The trust funds shall be in the complete charge and control of the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees shall consist of five persons appointed by the Chess Federation of Canada as follows: Each year, at the Annual Meeting of the Chess Federation of Canada or by its direction, one trustee will be appointed for a one year term, and another for a four year term. The members of the Board of Trustees will select a Chairman and Treasurer from their ranks under the direction of the CFC President."

It is clearly not at arms length from the CFC, although is trying to act like it is. Legally, the whole thing looks like a mess, and heaven knows how ths funds get divvied up at dissolution. You have to hope the five trustees at the time are honourable people - sorry about that!
                      Fred Harvey

Comment

Fred, you are exactly correct. Thank you for bringing the facts forward.
                        Our trustees are elected to terms of one to four years at the CFC Annual General Meeting. Currently, we are: Lynn Stringer (chair), myself (treasurer), Bob Gillanders, Michah Hughey and Hugh Brodie.
                        We are all veteran organizers and players with a passion for the game and a desire to do the best we can for chess in Canada. We are indeed bound by the conditions that you outlined.
                        Paul Leblanc

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                          It is clearly not at arms length from the CFC, although is trying to act like it is. Legally, the whole thing looks like a mess, and heaven knows how ths funds get divvied up at dissolution. You have to hope the five trustees at the time are honourable people - sorry about that!
                          I have to admit your previous opinion surprised me. This one sounds more reasonable.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks Paul!

Now which part of my post was "exactly correct"? The one about ".....Legally, the whole thing looks like a mess....."

I think I'm joking!
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Rouleau View Post
                              I suspect a significant portion of the funds came from lifetime subscription. In general, such monies are invested to ensure the fund will be able to meet the cost of the obligations towards these lifetime members.
                              Over the years the main (financially significant) obligation towards the lifetime members was to send them (like other members) a news chess magazine who used to be called "Chess Canada", "En passant", "Chess Canada Echecs", etc. Recently for more than a year CFC members, including lifetime members, did not receive any such service and to top it off could not even count on a decent and virus free website for informations. How come the CFC did not go then to his trusted foundation to get the necessary funds to honour its obligations to all and lifetime members in particular ? Was the CFC unaware of the foundation's purpose ? In that extreme case, the Foundation proved useless to ensure anything. Having money in the bank clearly does not in itself ensure that services are provided. And if the foundation proves useless to prevent the CFC from interrupting for a lenghty period its most basic functions, what good reason can one find for its existence ?

Thanks to some usefull posts above, we now have a better understanding of the reasonable principles behind such foundations. But the question is: is such a foundation really appropriate for the needs of canadian Chess ? Being in a state of under development compared to the rest of the world, can we really afford to wait until that foundation miraculously grows big enough so that chess can develop using only the interests ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                                ....if the foundation proves useless to prevent the CFC from interrupting for a lenghty period its most basic functions, what good reason can one find for its existence ?
                                Nice spin Jean, but I would remind you that it was the Foundation that did come to the financial rescue of the CFC while it underwent it's restructuring program. :) I took a lot of flack when I first suggested it, but it was the foundation loans which allowed the CFC to continue "normal" operations. :)

There certainly were times of poor service etc etc :o :o but I attribute that mostly to the dysfunctional political structure that hampers corrective actions. As for obligations to life memberships, I think most have received a pretty good deal, some I believe $50 in exchange for a lifetime of services. Well, I guess they are "entitled to their entitlements"!

Comment

Working...
                                X