Why CFC denying talented juniors to represent CANADA at World Stage???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why CFC denying talented juniors to represent CANADA at World Stage???

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    As Gary has already posted in this thread, I also worried about the availability of rated events to permit selection based on rating. Obviously, this would give a huge advantage to juniors already in a player rich area like Toronto or Vancouver etc. ...
    True, but, if other factors are about the same, and regardless of whether or not there is a CYCC, a youngster living in Toronto is going to have a significant advantage over his/her counterpart from Tillsonburg for just the reason you mention. Having a CYCC isn't going to smooth out regional differences in availability of tournaments or quality of competition. Nor will having a CYCC help children, perhaps very talented children, from lower income families whose parent(s) may not be able to afford the trip to some faraway centre. If the CYCC draws 150 or 200 children each year, I'm going to guess that that's just a small subset of the total number of Canadian children who participate in some form of organized chess each year.

... Replacing a single nation-wide CYCC with a few regional ones might be reasonable, but it seems hard enough to organize even one event. ...
    And then on the other hand, you have people like John Coleman from Windsor who is drawing 1,000+ children to the tournaments he organizes. Maybe the CFC should be picking the brains of people like John to see what can be shared with organizers in other communities.

... The time for an appeal is long past. ...
    I think Ken Craft's point was that an appeal would never have been necessary had the CFC been more open-minded.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      David....Who are you quoting when you say:

Quote:
      ‘CFC has no interest in focusing on developing it’s junior, and help them reach true potential'.

Larry
      Sorry Larry - wasn't sure how to quote two different people and attribute them both correctly. As indicated, it was Mikhail I was quoting in the second instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
        What exactly do you want the CFC to do to help prevent that? Seriously, we are working on a long term strategic plan and your suggestions as a former Canadian champion and as an extremely successful chess coach would be most welcome.
        Are you talking for yourself or for the CFC ? Facts seem to prove on the contrary that ideas are not "most welcomed" when they go against the trend or the status quo. Thinking out of the box is seen with fear.
        I have repeatedly made suggestions over the years regarding just about every topic, and most have been ignored even when acknowledged as "good ideas". I had told the CFC that the webzine would be a disaster (and offered an alternative which to this day I still believe is better). What did they do ? Sure they wasted money on a webzine as if chessplayers would suddenly become journalists and write free for the community. Recently I made the suggestion to publish CCN on paper. Good idea I was told, but has it been done yet ? Nope. It might still happen though. I am always hopeful and positive. :)

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          I'm not talking about someone at the CFC sitting down and writing a cheque to Mark Bluvshtein which obviously rarely if ever happened; I'm talking about how many resources and man hours were poured into running youth programs...
          The embryonic Youth "programs" you are talking about don't cost money, they make money! A very small portion of all the money getting in actually goes to nurturing young talents. It simply cannot be the reason why the CFC is losing members unless one argues that a better effort should be made to support young talents. Poor and at times non-existent basic services is a better culprit in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
            Are you talking for yourself or for the CFC ? Facts seem to prove on the contrary that ideas are not "most welcomed" when they go against the trend or the status quo. Thinking out of the box is seen with fear.
            I have repeatedly made suggestions over the years regarding just about every topic, and most have been ignored even when acknowledged as "good ideas". I had told the CFC that the webzine would be a disaster (and offered an alternative which to this day I still believe is better). What did they do ? Sure they wasted money on a webzine as if chessplayers would suddenly become journalists and write free for the community. Recently I made the suggestion to publish CCN on paper. Good idea I was told, but has it been done yet ? Nope. It might still happen though. I am always hopeful and positive. :)
            Hi Jean,

I am talking for myself as the CFC masters representative and as a member and chairman of the long term planning committee who are charged with coming up with a strategic plan for the CFC. I am not a member of the CFC executive but hope that the long range planning committee will be able to come up with and document a vision to take the CFC through the next ten years and help the CFC to reach its full potential or at least attain more of its potential as compared to the situation that we have today.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Recently I made the suggestion to publish CCN on paper. Good idea I was told, but has it been done yet ? Nope.
              If I remember correctly you suggested to print an annual issue. Do you wish to be in charge then? (+ share a profit or losses :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                If I remember correctly you suggested to print an annual issue. Do you wish to be in charge then? (+ share a profit or losses :)
                I would not mind at all. This is a pretty simple project with minimal risks. But by the time the CFC decides to make a move on this I may be too old... :) That is the real problem.

Comment

The embryonic Youth "programs" you are talking about don't cost money, they make money! A very small portion of all the money getting in actually goes to nurturing young talents. It simply cannot be the reason why the CFC is losing members....
                  Red Herring.

David is not saying that the money spent on Juniors is causing loss of CFC membership. For you to imply David is saying this is disgusting but typical of your argument methods.

David is saying that this money spent is not preventing loss of CFC membership. Totally different.

It's like chess, really. You push a Pawn (i.e. spend money on Junior development) thinking your position is sound and the advanced Pawn will give you better chances in the endgame. But the the Pawn is quickly picked off (i.e. the Junior leaves chess) and now you are struggling just to get to an endgame.
                  Only the rushing is heard...
                  Onward flies the bird.

Comment

It simply cannot be the reason why the CFC is losing members unless one argues that a better effort should be made to support young talents.
                    This sounds like pursuing a losing strategy and hoping to make it up with volume. Can you show any data correlating between:

Increase in junior participation ---> Increase in CFC adult membership?

In fact, I believe (though it could certainly be argued that there are many external factors) that the correlation is negative, which to me makes sense: the CFC uses time and resources on players who are going to be short term members of the federation, and that takes away from the resources available to spend on the long term valuable members, and further, I believe many adult players are none too excited about playing the next 10 year old junior prodigy on his way to winning a few CYCC/WYCC trips; I've certainly heard this feedback from many adult members over the years.

So, in that sense (as usual) we disagree - I believe that the focus on junior members and programs is causing the CFC to lose members.

Comment

chairman of the long term planning committee who are charged with coming up with a strategic plan for the CFC.
                      I wasn't aware the CFC had such a thing - where can I see more information about this?

Comment

A straw vote was taken at the last Governors meeting, David. I believe the members have been appointed by the President. I have not seen its terms of reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          A straw vote was taken at the last Governors meeting, David. I believe the members have been appointed by the President. I have not seen its terms of reference.
                          The members are all volunteers, I don't think there were any appointments. I'm sure we would welcome some non-Governor participation.

Comment

I would not mind at all. This is a pretty simple project with minimal risks. But by the time the CFC decides to make a move on this I may be too old... :) That is the real problem.
                            Jean the project was derailed when CCN editor at the time, Tony Ficzere, bacame unavailable to work on this, as we had hoped to have something by the Canadian Open.

We are going through an interim editor now, with a permanent editor in place by December.

It's something we'd still like to see happen, and perhaps if they're not the right person for the job, we can come knocking on your door.

Comment

CFC Long-term Planning Committee Members

On October 12, on the confidential CFC Governors' Discussion Board, EOCA Governor Kevin Pacey, Chairperson of the Long-term Planning Committee, posted :

" So far you [ Chris Mallon - SWOCL Governor], Rob Clark [ replacing SWOCL Governor, Michael von Keitz, elected CFC President ], myself and Brian Fiedler [ GTCL Governor ] (all Governors) are confirmed members of the committee. "

Bob A

Comment

Hi Jean,

I am talking for myself as the CFC masters representative and as a member and chairman of the long term planning committee who are charged with coming up with a strategic plan for the CFC. I am not a member of the CFC executive but hope that the long range planning committee will be able to come up with and document a vision to take the CFC through the next ten years and help the CFC to reach its full potential or at least attain more of its potential as compared to the situation that we have today.

Vladimir Drkulec
                                Vlad are you now Chairman of this committee or have I misunderstood your post ?

Comment

Working...
                                X