Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sustainable Earth: A Collection of Villages

Peter McKillop - Post # 3376 - 23/9/17

1. "If I'm understanding what it is you're proposing, I think it's unworkable and undesirable."

Response

Peter, you understand perfectly what I am proposing! I hope to convince you that it is both "workable" and "desirable"!

2. "If you have (tens of) thousands of self-governing villages, how would you ever deal efficiently with all of the disparities of geography and economic potential?"

Response

a. Geographic Differences

There is no doubt that geography showers certain benefits on the residents. For example, if you are a village on the Mediterranean Sea, there are economic advantages to having a Port. Are there any advantages to being a village in the middle of the Sahara Desert? Dry Air may be one from the health point of view of some people.

But your point is totally sound.

The goal of the "Sustainable Earth Project" is that through "cooperation", and "altruism", villages will work hard not to "win", but to help other villages to be 'Sustainable", even if that may mean some inequality of trade. This new paradigm works only if ALL villages are "sustainable". And this may require that some villages are helped in some way by others (Sort of like Canadian Federal-Provincial transfer payments). The goal is that each village is unique and has something to offer, that will keep the residents happy to be a resident in their village. We cannot afford to have villages that just don't work.

b. Economic Potential Differences

Again disparity causes problems........yes it is wonderful that some villages will have much greater economic potential than others. And we want to exploit this to the maximum (Within the rules of sustainability). But it is not "us for ourselves" in the Sustainable Earth.....it is we (All Villages) must achieve some decent local civic quality of life....so there is going to have to be "bartering", and it may have to be "Subsidy Bartering".........one village can trade something the other needs, for what it needs, despite the disparity of value of what is being "traded".

This is truly a sticky wicket, as Peter points out.

Dilip has proposed thinking in terms of "regions of circles". So any village has a "circle of villages" around its borders. The most natural dynamic economically is for the village, and those in its first concentric circle, to enter into bi-lateral, and multi-lateral arrangements, so that all get what they need, and can accomplish tasks important to all, efficiently.

3. "How would you deal with funding/building the physical/legal infrastructure needed to support inter-village dealings like trade?"

Response

One could consider regional transportation as an "infrastructure" problem for a village to solve. This seems most amenable to cooperation - a village coalition to set up a regional transport authority for all of them in the first circle.

This is not so simple though..........we have circles overlaying circles in this paradigm.......But I believe that villages will be able to negotiate a workable, and desirable, solution to mass transit, where there is going to be decent service for all the residents of all villages in the "Coalition".

4. "How, for example, would you deal with poverty-stricken villages that have no prospects for improving themselves because all of their scarce resources are used up by their subsistence-level existence?"

Response

I think that the only partial, and substantial, solution to this is "Transfer Payments" to the "less sustainable on their own" villages. It may also be that some unsustainable villages will simply have to join with one or more bordering villages to achieve at least some basic level of sustainability, which then can be subsidized.

Invitation

Let the free-for-all now begin!

Bob A (I really do think this is NOT about COVID-19, and CAN be discussed in the CT Human Self-Government thread, where this conversation belongs.)

Comment

• Hi Peter:

Would you agree to us moving our two posts to the Human Self-Government thread?

Bob A

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Peter:

Would you agree to us moving our two posts to the Human Self-Government thread?

Bob A
        I don't see a thread with that name, Bob. Would you please clarify?
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Sorry Peter..........I felt I had opened the thread with the wrong name.....and I think only an Admin. can change it........I now call it "The Human Self-Government" thread. But formally it is:

New World Order (NWO), sometimes called the Great Reset

If you'd like, I can make a joint post there of our two posts together.........that would give a very clear idea of both the proposal and the challenges (I don't call them problems or difficulties!). I'd also add in my original post that started you responding. Should I go ahead?

Bob A

Comment

.... Should I go ahead?

Bob A
            Sure. 1010
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Hi Peter:

Thanks.

1010??

Bob A

Comment

• The Sustainable Earth Project: A Collection of Villages

Click image for larger version  Name:	Earth1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	229350

Peter and my posts on this CT Thread (COVID-19) have now been moved to the CT thread: New World Order (NWO), sometimes called the Great Reset.

We will be continuing our conversation there now, as well.

Peter & Bob A

Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 21st September, 2023, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post

What is the old saying? Don't mud wrestle with pigs, because the pigs will enjoy it.......
                  You are a wise man Fred. I am glad to see your posts were reinstated.

I am happy to be one of the silent observers, but you know, it is tempting.
                  I like to think that my previous post was more akin to turning the garden hose on them from a safe distance.

I see Dilip's reply to both of us is quite lame, best just to leave it hanging out there.

Have a nice day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

You are a wise man Fred. I am glad to see your posts were reinstated.

I am happy to be one of the silent observers, but you know, it is tempting.
                    I like to think that my previous post was more akin to turning the garden hose on them from a safe distance.

I see Dilip's reply to both of us is quite lame, best just to leave it hanging out there.

Have a nice day.
                    And you do not want to admit that you just have no relevant answer to the simple questions asked of you about your posts...
                    What else could one expect of folks who enjoy oil companies or the hard and smart working being put into unnecessary trouble by fascist DM systems...?

Comment

• Dilip

You do know that on the political spectrum, according to definitions generally accepted, Marxism and Fascism are polar opposites?

I'd prefer you disparagingly refer to DM as "Authoritarian Marxism", if you really intend in future to continue damning DM. Much preferred to "fascist DM systems (Your words)"

Bob A

Comment

Dilip

You do know that on the political spectrum, according to definitions generally accepted, Marxism and Fascism are polar opposites?

I'd prefer you disparagingly refer to DM as "Authoritarian Marxism", if you really intend in future to continue damning DM. Much preferred to "fascist DM systems (Your words)"

Bob A

I think it is now very apparent that Dilip has no clue. He never provided answers (other than technobabble) to any questions addressed to him about Libertarianism, then he turns around and says you guys won't answer HIS questions. He is always the pot calling the kettle black. Whenever anyone should put the foot down on his fantasy Libertarian idealist notions like his undefinable Natural Law, he screams "Troll!"

He wants to be a rich man with no limitations placed on him by society or the government. He sees Libertarianism as the pathway to his fantasy. He sees judges and police as incorruptible, yet lawyers are all liars and scumbags -- this is the hallmark of one who desires a pure police state.

Fortunately, there is no Libertarianism on the horizon so we can safely ignore him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

He never provided answers (other than technobabble) to any questions addressed to him about Libertarianism,

Fortunately, there is no Libertarianism on the horizon so we can safely ignore him.
                          Of course Libertarianism will soon be having its small step beginnings in Canada with our next Prime Minister Pierre P!
                          And I do not answer questions from nasty trolls generally, for obvious reasons...

Comment

Dilip

Bob A
                            Bob, you should know that Fascism is: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Marxism does often directly lead to Fascism as History shows us...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

Bob, you should know that Fascism is: a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Marxism does often directly lead to Fascism as History shows us...
                              I doubt very much that feverish folks such as Bob A. will ever find their way back into the light of day.

They are so very very committed.

Truly afraid of the Individual and what can be achieved by the Individualist spirit.

And that's a cray thing!

How can you unionize an idea? Only by force ... sigh.

Bob A. and his ilk, are truly afraid of the Individual ... and that Dilip is a very tragic thing.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 22nd September, 2023, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• Hi Guys:

The variety of individuals makes the world go round.......actually, I like individuals........I even have some individual friends....

What I don't like are:

1. systems that give individuals obscene influence/wealth for little reason (Inherited wealth = capital = advantage over labour).

2. Similarly I do not like it when one individual is obscenely wealthy from the system, yet the system demands a large pool of impoverished INDIVIDUALS to keep it running (Individuals who are in a couple, both working a few part-time jobs, and trying to raise two kids on minimum wage).

3. Individuals who are adamant about keeping the obscene wage gap between INDIVIDUALS around the world because they are winning (Due to advantages the system showers on them).

Yes, the common good should come before the individual......humans are a social species. But the rights of the Individual are also to be respected and protected from the tyranny of the majority, which can happen in any system.

Bob A (DM'er)

Comment

Working...
                                X