COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

Good links. And contributing to a weakening of the underlying condition is breathing pollution, whether from smoking tobacco or living next to a factory.
    Pollution is way down especially in China because all the factories and industries are closed.

In Windsor, the air is noticeably cleaner because of the reduction in driving and also some of the big polluters across the border are shut down.

Comment

But have you seen all of the top 41 chess movies?

https://www.chessonly.com/chess-movies/
      I've only seen Seventh Seal, Pawn Sacrifice, Bobby Fischer Against the World, Game Over: Kasparov Against the Machine, and Searching for Bobby Fischer, but I've also read Chess Story, and as they say, a book is worth 36 movies, so I've essentially seen all 41.

Comment

• Unsettling article from National Geographic:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...8E033DDAED6540

Comment

But have you seen all of the top 41 chess movies?

https://www.chessonly.com/chess-movies/
          Thanks for sharing Erik! A really nice list.

I would add two Russian-language movies that are not well known in the West (unlike Chess Fever which is mute ).

Grossmeyster (The Grandmaster, 1972) has Tal, Averbakh, Korchnoi, Taimanov and Kotov playing themselves, which is already a great treat. After Korchnoi's 1976 defection, this movie was no longer allowed to be played in theatres or on TV in the USSR; it reappeared only after the regime change, in 1990-s. Here's a (barebones) IMDB description.

Belyi sneg Rossii (White Snows of Russia, 1980) is a biopic on Alexander Alekhine based on Kotov's book and screenplay. IMDB again.

Comment

• And speaking of IMDB ... congrats (somewhat belated, ha!, I've only recently returned, still playing catchup) to Tom O'Donnell for getting some street cred for is EPIC work on X-MEN

Here's the scene... Magneto & Xavier playing chess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDD...e=emb_err_woyt

Comment

• This just in today, but i have to wonder.... when they passed these social distancing restrictions, did they not think people would violate them in the parks and beaches as soon as the good weather got here? So the authorities have made themselves look bad, and now they have to "respond' with more enforcement officers. How silly they didn't just do that at the first appearance of good weather. I guess some people just don't know human nature. Anyway, here's today's story:

"Many Canadians have been taking advantage of warmer weather to venture outside after spending weeks in lockdown because of COVID-19, but the easing of restrictions has sparked a backlash in Toronto.

A statement from the city said thousands of people packed Trinity Bellwoods Park in the downtown area on Saturday and some were flouting physical distancing regulations.

The city called the crowds "unacceptable" and that they threatened to undo the work done over the last 10 weeks to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. Mayor John Tory said bylaw officers and police would be out in force Sunday to ensure the rules on distancing are followed.

The city has made it illegal to come within two metres of someone from a different household in parks and public squares. Those who break the bylaw could be handed a $1,000 ticket on the spot, though officers can also issue higher tickets -- subject to the court system -- in which fines go up to $5,000 on conviction.

The city's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Eileen de Villa, condemned the "selfish and dangerous behaviour" of people flocking to parks. She noted the city has seen an uptick in cases of COVID-19, reporting 258 new cases on Friday alone."

And not only did the authorities make themselves look bad, they may have allowed further spread of the virus. They say "the crowds" threatened to undo the work of the past 10 weeks... no, THE AUTHORITIES did that by not enforcing the restrictions. Laws are only as good as their enforcement. People have to learn in a pandemic that old behaviors are no longer acceptable.
              Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Sunday, 24th May, 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
                This just in today, but i have to wonder.... when they passed these social distancing restrictions, did they not think people would violate them in the parks and beaches as soon as the good weather got here? So the authorities have made themselves look bad, and now they have to "respond' with more enforcement officers. How silly they didn't just do that at the first appearance of good weather. I guess some people just don't know human nature. Anyway, here's today's story:

"Many Canadians have been taking advantage of warmer weather to venture outside after spending weeks in lockdown because of COVID-19, but the easing of restrictions has sparked a backlash in Toronto.

A statement from the city said thousands of people packed Trinity Bellwoods Park in the downtown area on Saturday and some were flouting physical distancing regulations.

The city called the crowds "unacceptable" and that they threatened to undo the work done over the last 10 weeks to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. Mayor John Tory said bylaw officers and police would be out in force Sunday to ensure the rules on distancing are followed.

The city has made it illegal to come within two metres of someone from a different household in parks and public squares. Those who break the bylaw could be handed a $1,000 ticket on the spot, though officers can also issue higher tickets -- subject to the court system -- in which fines go up to $5,000 on conviction.

The city's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Eileen de Villa, condemned the "selfish and dangerous behaviour" of people flocking to parks. She noted the city has seen an uptick in cases of COVID-19, reporting 258 new cases on Friday alone."

And not only did the authorities make themselves look bad, they may have allowed further spread of the virus. They say "the crowds" threatened to undo the work of the past 10 weeks... no, THE AUTHORITIES did that by not enforcing the restrictions. Laws are only as good as their enforcement. People have to learn in a pandemic that old behaviors are no longer acceptable.
                I'm not sure I get your position: are you blaming "the masses" and/or "the authorities", how much each?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I'm not sure I get your position: are you blaming "the masses" and/or "the authorities", how much each?
                  Ok, the last paragraph I posted were my comments, not part of the article. I should have put that paragraph before the article, sorry.

So one thing we can say is that the crowds did not gather outside the park and agree en masse not to do social distancing. Each of them made their own individual decisions. So its hard to blame the masses, they are just doing what comes naturally and they might have each been thinking maybe I should wear a mask and keep my distance, but once they got there it all went out the window.

I blame the authorities almost 100%. They simply didn't understand what people are going to do in nice weather, especially when 90%+ of those people have not YET been affected by covid. It's not just Toronto, it's happening everywhere now that nice weather is here. Happening even more in the U.S.

And I doubt that masses of people thought, "What can they do, arrest us all?" as someone else posted here, since that is a flawed way to look at it. As I posted, we don't have tax revolts because the authorities DO have ways to cope with it, they get down to the individual level, attack the individuals. There are more threats besides arrest.

So when the authorities passed the law, they should have immediately planned to put extra (many extra) enforcement officers out there on the first nice weekend, into the parks and beaches. Instead they relied on people to do the right thing, and that just made them look stupid. So NOW they have to send those enforcement officers out, and the authorities point the finger at "the crowd" as if they are to blame. No, just stupid authorities.

Someone posted on Twitter:
                  "I don’t think it’s that fair blame Toronto police and bylaw officers for the mess at Trinity Bellwoods. Let’s be very clear: police are not your parents. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. As adults we should be able exhibit control and informed decision making."

The last sentence isn't quite right. Even as adults we have to LEARN to exhibit control and informed decision making. In this case, we only learn by seeing visible threat in the form of enforcement officers. Then maybe by mid-summer we are all getting the picture.

Comment

• One positive thing I can about this stealthy CVD-19 is that it saved the Leafs from losing yet another playoff series to my Bruins.

HA!

Comment

• Well, I guess I agree more with that tweet than with your post. Over the decades of my life, it somehow became more common to blame others (and especially authority figures, which includes parents, teachers, politicians, etc.) for inferior personal decisions (inferior is inferior, no matter what the authority figure said/did) - please note the following two points before my grand finale lol:

1) I am IN NO WAY defending how the Governments of Ontario, Toronto, Canada, etc. have managed the pandemic. But then everyone is responsible for their own decisions after that.

2) I in NO WAY AGREE with conflating the genuine need to work, with personal decisions to engage in "rock concert seating" socializing. I support the former, but I cringe over the latter.

In my humble opinion, the best approach would be:

a) balance WORK Distancing vs. Social Distancing (working is more important than socializing)
                      b) widespread immunity/antibody testing (if taking too long, only working gets priority over that)
                      c) if/when positive, fast-track back to work (else accept that deaths will continue until vaccines)

Comment

• Infection Risk Estimator for Leaving the House

https://medium.com/swlh/so-youre-goi...e-d7dcae2746c0

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                          Infection Risk Estimator for Leaving the House

https://medium.com/swlh/so-youre-goi...e-d7dcae2746c0
                          Ouch, that's a lot of work Aris. I was hoping for something really easy like your probability of getting the virus goes up x% for each visit to the grocery store.
                          But of course, life is more complicated than that.

But the good news is it appears the Ontario daily numbers are starting to decline. Painfully slow, but finally some progress.

I have been tracking the daily reports for 5 specific data points.
                          The average daily numbers for the peak period of April 21 to May 14 (24 days):
                          New cases per day - 433
                          New deaths per day - 51
                          Hospitalized patients - 979
                          Patients in Intensive Care - 225
                          ICU patients on Ventilators - 170

The numbers for the last 4 days ( May 23 -26)
                          New cases - 412, 460, 404, 287
                          New deaths - 28, 25, 29, 21
                          Hospitalized - 912, 878, 859, 848
                          Intensive Care - 147, 148, 148, 143
                          ICU on ventilator - 119, 104, 114, 113

Agonizingly slow, but on the decline finally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Ouch, that's a lot of work Aris. I was hoping for something really easy like your probability of getting the virus goes up x% for each visit to the grocery store.
                            But of course, life is more complicated than that.

But the good news is it appears the Ontario daily numbers are starting to decline. Painfully slow, but finally some progress.
                            Yeah, I agree that's way too many numbers. But I think there's some very handy simplified extractions (such as, it's REALLY WORTH IT to have a bubble of 2 full metres vs. less than that)

Then I just don't know about those declining numbers, they just might be the calm before the next storm (after re-opening)?
                            Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Tuesday, 26th May, 2020, 07:49 PM. Reason: added content towards Bob's post

Comment

• Deaths have reached 100,000 in the US.

Comment

• US leads all the numbers however Russia, Brazil, and now India numbers rapidly rising.

Comment

Working...
                                X