Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mega-Problem re Climate Change

The Sense of "Non-Urgency" (Among both politicians and public)

"Voters and politicians put a higher premium on immediate issues, such as inflation and the economy, giving politicians a pass on global warming.

Climate change remains an issue with little political power, either for those pressing for dramatic action or for those standing in the way.

“People are exhausted by the pandemic, they’re terribly disillusioned by the government,” said Anusha Narayanan, climate campaign director for Greenpeace USA, the environmental group known for its guerrilla tactics but now struggling to mobilize supporters. She added: “People see climate as a tomorrow problem. We have to make them see it’s not a tomorrow problem.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/17/u...it_nn_20220718

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

The Total Lack of Any Sense of Urgency

Consequence of Non-action - The Costs of NOT dealing with Climate Change will be Staggering

"Carbon dioxide levels continue to rise and António Guterres, the UN secretary-general, will warn today that the world is heading for “collective suicide”."

YET..........

In the United Kingdom, "out of ten policy areas, net-zero came bottom in the YouGov poll of Conservative members!!!!!! [Emphasis Added]. Winning the next election, controlling immigration and helping families with the cost of living came top.

In last night’s ITV Tory leadership debate [in the UK], not one of the candidates showed any understanding of the climate crisis or of its impact on health, energy bills or food prices."

https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfi...climate-change

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Great video on the campaign by big oil to blame the little guy for global warming.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zj...yNewsAustralia

A friend posted this same video on our facebook group, to quote him.

"Corporate power has a long and illustrious history of using its massive marketing might to redirect blame away from itself. Just another example…" - Brian Floyd

The second video is about recycling, but a similar theme emerges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7X...el=PBSNewsHour
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Wednesday, 20th July, 2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• CT Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change Thread

Week # 29 (22/7/13 – 22/7/19)

Weekly Stats:

.............................................................2022 Average............................................................... 2022 Average

..Last Week's.........Prior Week's.....Views/Day.......Last Week's..........Prior Week's.........Responses/Day.

..Views/Day...........Views/Day.......(To Date)........Responses/Day......Responses/Day........ (To Date)

........18........................28....................45..........................1.....................................1 ..........................2

Stats Analysis of the Week Past

Moderate activity continued last week, though a bit behind the prior week ....... we seem to have settled in on an average of almost one new response per day now. Activity is clearly dependent on new responses.

Note: It is expected that the current weekly period stats will remain substantially behind the 2022 Average for a long time. There were many more posts per week in the beginning than now, as everyone had their say. So, as the number of viewers decreases, and then stabilizes, the yearly average comes down only very slowly, given the high initial activity.

Climate Change Responses

There are lots of climate change articles out there.

This thread encourages CT'ers to re-post responses here when they see climate change posts of interest elsewhere.

I personally, as the thread originator, am shooting to post a new response at least every 2nd day, but am sometimes even falling short on this, depending on the amount of time I have to be on-line, which is limited.

The Pressing Climate Change Issue

The core issue:

Building a sense of URGENCY on this issue in society. We must realize that we cannot kick it down the road any longer!

The public is aware of the climate change issue.......

BUT.....

climate activists must find strategies to “AWAKEN” the public to the “urgency”.

The Time Line

Nature's Tipping point is estimated to be, on current trajectory, only 9 years away (Around Jan. 1, 2031). Capping the temperature rise at only 1.5 degrees Celsius is now impossible (UN Climate Change Panel's most recent report). UNCCP noted that current government deadlines were totally insufficient to solve the problem. CO 2 must be capped by 2025! And for the first time, CO 2 “removal” has now become a necessary part of the solution, along with eliminating spewing of greenhouse gases into our atmosphere.

Our window of opportunity is fast closing.

The Large Picture Solutions

Can we come up with at least one or two viable suggestions of impressive, radical things that might wake up the public, that we could then put out there to other concerned client activists?

CT'ers' Local Actions on Climate Change

You can do something! When you like one of this thread's links on an aspect of climate change, spread the news by posting it to your social media accounts and other Websites/Discussion Boards you participate in!

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

• Bob, most people KNOW the problem is urgent. Then they get into their cars, take a plane flight, have kids, eat animals...

We as a species do not give a shit. We just want our kicks while we can get them, and that is it.

Comment

• If you are right, all our kicks are coming to an end, slowly, starting about Jan. 1, 2031........not far away really.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                Bob, most people KNOW the problem is urgent. Then they get into their cars, take a plane flight, have kids, eat animals...

We as a species do not give a shit. We just want our kicks while we can get them, and that is it.

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                If you are right, all our kicks are coming to an end, slowly, starting about Jan. 1, 2031........not far away really.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                Brad & Bob A,,

I don't think (Bob A.) we need an exact date like Jan 1 2031 ... really, the end is beginning NOW. Brush fires around (the usually foggy) London England, with temps over 100 deg F? I think the jig is up. The train has left the station. The fat lady has begun to sing. The horses have escaped the barn (you can close and lock the doors now).

Here are some more things I think we can look forward to....

New (to us) viruses and bacteria released from the likes of Siberia permafrost as it melts ... causing all kinds of simultaneous pandemics.

The total overloading / collapse of worldwide health care systems .... people dying in hospital hallways and parking lots. By the millions. Worldwide.

Emergency declarations from multiple world governments ... a LEGISLATED end to all professional sporting, arts, culture, non-documentary movie and TV production, with all the workers in these industries, most of them healthy 20- to 50-year-olds, LEGISLATED to be retrained to become health care workers to save the rest of our population.

The U.S. military drafts of the 1960s will pale in comparison to this LEGISLATED drafting of young healthy people into health care work. The age of sports prima-donnas will finally come to an abrupt end. The collapse of U.S. and Canadian health care facilities is already underway ... all it will take is one or two more pandemics, and they are coming!

So yes, true, sometime very soon we won't be getting our "kicks" at any more Super Bowls or Stanley Cups ... except for watching old ones ...

You heard it here first. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe I'm wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by brad thomson View Post
                  bob, most people know the problem is urgent. Then they get into their cars, take a plane flight, have kids, eat animals...

eat life!!!

Comment

• Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

The "Urgency" Issue

Europe - United Kindgom

Conservatives

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...-at-the-window

Note: As the consequences of climate change mount up, and are more detrimentally extreme, we will hear the hue and cry of urgency more and more often.

The Issue: Will the public consider that the one's with their tails in a knot are "crying wolf"?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Here are some more things I think we can look forward to....
                      Interesting points, let me add one to your list.

As temperatures climb, I see a move to underground dwellings. The use of air conditioning is already a burden on our energy systems, and it will get much worse. When I was a boy, before anyone had air conditioning, you would head to the basement for relief on very hot days. Limits on air conditioning (cost, rationing, tax, etc.) will spur the building of underground (or low to the ground) homes, businesses, and factories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        If you are right, all our kicks are coming to an end, slowly, starting about Jan. 1, 2031........not far away really.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
                        I do not think we will get close to the end of this decade with civilization intact. All that will remain will be scattered cavemen, unless full extinction happens. Or, ET/JC type stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
                          You heard it here first. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe I'm wrong.
                          I agree with everything you say, the shit is about to hit the fan BIG TIME.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                            eat life!!!
                            Yes, eat plant life, not sentient life. It is healthier, cheaper, leaves a far smaller carbon footprint and can be justified morally.

Comment

• Time Line to Disaster

Many reports of the last few years peg the "Tipping Point" as near Jan. 1, 2031.

But it does make sense to me that as we make the non-porous atmospheric canopy enveloping Earth less and less porous, the rate of disastrous consequences will accelerate.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                As temperatures climb, I see a move to underground dwellings
                                Only for the very powerful, the rest of us will fry on the surface. Reminds me of THE funniest movie I have ever seen, Dr. Strangelove. One hand salutes evil, the other strangles our own throats.
                                Last edited by Brad Thomson; Thursday, 21st July, 2022, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X